- 54,628 hits
- Maroon Staccato: Another Pair of Eco Prints on Watercolour Paper February 15, 2018
- And Another Eco Print on Watercolour Paper February 15, 2018
- Eco Print on Watercolour Paper February 14, 2018
- The Spaces In-Between February 11, 2018
- Eco Collographs/Negative Space February 1, 2018
- Aesthetics Allotmenteering Altered Books Art Artist Sketchbooks Art Journal Christian writing Collage & Assemblage Creativity Dialogue Drawing Eco/Natural Dyeing and Printing Ecology Encaustic Art Folklore & Mythology Inspiration Mixed Media Music Nature Journal Photography Printmaking Research Reviews Science Short Story Writing Singing Singing Sacred spirituality Walking Writing
Tag Archives: Le Spectre de la Rose
I had a first-time try last Friday at singing some of the songs from Hector Berlioz’ song cycle Les Nuits d’Eté (Summer Nights) the texts for which came from six poems composed by Theophile Gautier.
I’ve had a CD for some years of the song cycle recorded by the late great Janet Baker, so I was not entirely unfamiliar with it. I never thought at the time that I’d one day be singing it.
The theme of the cycle is love, its progress from innocence to loss and renewal. The second song of the cycle, Le Spectre de la Rose, began as a work for piano – Afforderung zum Tanz (Invitation to the Dance) – written, in 1819, by Carl Maria von Weber. Continue reading