- 62,900 hits
- Tiny Sketchbook Project: Sent February 18, 2019
- A Tiny Poem for the 44th and Last of the Page Spreads for the Tiny Sketchbook Project February 12, 2019
- Tiny Sketchbook Project: Making a Mark, Leaving a Trace February 10, 2019
- Tiny Sketchbook Project: Page Spread with Teaspoon February 9, 2019
- Tiny Sketchbook Project: Front Cover February 8, 2019
- Aesthetics Allotmenteering Art Artist Books Artist Sketchbooks Art Journal Christian writing Collage & Assemblage Creativity Dialogue Drawing Eco/Natural Dyeing and Printing Ecology Encaustic Art Folklore & Mythology Inspiration Mixed Media Music Nature Journal Photography Printmaking Research Reviews Science Short Story Writing Singing Singing Sacred spirituality Walking Writing
Tag Archives: Invitation to the Dance
I had a first-time try last Friday at singing some of the songs from Hector Berlioz’ song cycle Les Nuits d’Eté (Summer Nights) the texts for which came from six poems composed by Theophile Gautier.
I’ve had a CD for some years of the song cycle recorded by the late great Janet Baker, so I was not entirely unfamiliar with it. I never thought at the time that I’d one day be singing it.
The theme of the cycle is love, its progress from innocence to loss and renewal. The second song of the cycle, Le Spectre de la Rose, began as a work for piano – Afforderung zum Tanz (Invitation to the Dance) – written, in 1819, by Carl Maria von Weber. Continue reading