Oak Leaves, a Storm, the Pond

The pool
Glows at her feet, and all the gloomy rocks
Are brightened round her.
(Wordsworth, The Excursion)

A little experiment with oak leaves on cotton fabric. The leaves arrived on the high wind, blown over the hedge, a little branch, to fall near the pond, on which I’m working, my pond project.

I hope you are all working on your projects, weathering the storm.

Artist/Writer/Blogger
This entry was posted in Art, Art Notes, Eco/Natural Dyeing and Printing, Monoprinting, Nature Journal, Printmaking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Oak Leaves, a Storm, the Pond

1. I have finished two poems this week and am getting ready to work on the stories.

Yes, you are weathering the storm. I really like ‘Fear 15’. Thank you for reminding me that we have that particular capability – and ha! all the muscle we need is the capacity to listen. Stay safe.

• That is so true. I have been doing a lot more listening to the interior world since the shut in began. I feel like I have discovered a new me!

I’ve been spending most of my time for about a year, de-chaosing my life. I think it’s profoundly important that we organise our physical lives so that we can actually LIVE them. There’s no space for silence in chaos. It’s not for nothing, I think, that evil personified is known as, among all its other names, the Bringer of Chaos. I am almost at the end of the job and it is positively changing the shape of my daily life. The temptation to ‘give up’ wasn’t insignificant. Take care. Thanks for commenting.

• Thank you so much for this encouragement. I have been working on de-chaosing myself for a while (feels like the better part of two decades). In the beginning I didn;t even know that was the goal I was shooting for. I am slow on the uptake. I have started and pulled back from the process many times because of my own fear of disapproval and also because there is a part of me that enjoys chaos. But for the last two years I have really seen that part of myself…the fear and love of chaos… beginiing to die and now I am moving on to the joy of the creative pace and blessedness.

As you see, I am still lurching in and out of chaos. Sorry about the delay in response. I know what you mean about not knowing the goal in the beginnings … It’s living by the seat of the pants, on instinct (or knowingness, or divine intervention, depending on …) The name for my blog, ‘Poetic Mapping’, came to me ‘out of the sky’ as a description for what I was trying to do artistically (and in life). It goes back over 10 years. It is an oxymoron of course. Glad the smoke is lifting for you, too.

• I am so glad you got back to me. The timing is actually perfect. The advancement over the course of the pandemic has been wonderful. While being “locked in” I have come to practice a new rhythm that I have decided I am going to continue even now as the world begins to open back up (and close back down and open back up which I think is part of the new normal). I have slowed things way down and have discovered a way to live this way and continue the work. I have been learning those things I have to c,ose myself off too in order to maintain the new pace.

Yes, ‘timing’ is so very often mystical, I have found and really, I marvel at those times when ‘timing’ has meant the difference between my very survival or otherwise. To perceive ‘locked in’ as an opening up is quite marvellous.

• All of this is so true. I am finding releasing myself into God’s timing and rhythm has been absolutely essential in opening up during the locking down. This has meant giving up my expectations many of which I now realize were threaded into me from other people and what they wanted for or from me.

I so understand what you write about the expectations of others. It is an unfortunate danger with people who are extremely ‘open’ by nature. We are sponges. One has to learn to be absolutely focussed on ‘up’ and not get pulled ‘down’. Alas, it has taken me years to work that out. Sigh.

• You are right! I feel like for me the journey has up has just begun…but I am feeling like I am finally hitting some kind of stride.

It’s so exciting to know one is at the start of an adventure. 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )