Natural Dyeing with Pyracantha Firethorn Berries

silk-sample-dyed-with-pyracantha-firethorn-berries-29-october-2016

More experiments with natural dyeing. This is a piece of silk (Habotai 8) dyed with some of these red Pyracantha (Firethorn) berries in a copper pot.

This entry was posted in Art, Eco/Natural Dyeing and Printing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Natural Dyeing with Pyracantha Firethorn Berries

1. Suzanne says:

What a lovely colour you created. Did you have to use a mordant?

Only the copper pot in which I boiled and simmered the berries and silk together. I used tap water in this one. I did another batch using Hawthorn berries – and sea water I collected from the sea in North Norfolk. The result was spectacular. I’ll be posting a blog about that shortly.

• Suzanne says:

Thanks so much for sharing all this information. It’s really generous of you. It’s great that the copper pot acts as a mordant and that sea water works too. I’ll make sure to visit your blog more often.

I got much of my information from India Flint and her book ‘Eco Color’. I’m a novice indeed. There’s a couple of Facebook groups on ‘Eco Printing’ if you’re interested.

• Suzanne says:

Thanks Ann. I know that India Flint book – its in my library. I must borrow it and read it more closely.

I would also sugest getting hold of Kimberley Baxter Packwood’s ebooks: http://kbaxterpackwood.com. Her compost dyeing ebook I’m trying to put into practice in that I have had some cloth (cotton muslin) buried for the past 6 months inside a square of decomposing plant matter at my allotment. I’ve sandwiched some leaves etc in between two layers. It’s been rained on, of course and periodically I’ve added water and other liquids. I’m about to go and dig it up! It isn’t silk though and wish now I’d put some silk in there as well. It’s still exciting though. Good luck with your own artistic adventures. Ann

• Suzanne says:

Wow. It all sounds exciting. I’ll start experimenting after I move house. Thanks for the inspiration and information.

I know I’ve already replied, but would you kindly pray (or do whatever you do) for a friend of mine who is gravely ill? Thank you.

• Suzanne says: