Rather than wasting the harvest, I used it to dye some fabrics and papers. As I did with the rhubarb leaves gifted by a friend last week, I split the raspberry dye between my two copper dye pots – one with a silver coating inside and one without. Again, the results differed.
In the picture above, the beige fabrics on the left came out of the un-silvered copper pot; those on the right – pink and pink-beige, from the silver-coated copper pot. I’ve included a piece of white silk to show the depth of colour achieved.
I love the subtle differences in tone between the different fabrics. Each piece has variations, too, in part because some of the fabrics are salvaged and have their own histories. The dye, in this case, has acted as a revealer. I like that the hand-dyeing process uncovers the past and in this, becomes archeology. I might stitch some arrows onto these pieces when I come to use them in artworks, directing the attention to an event revealed.
The most pink is a cotton vest from Marks & Spencer that has seen better days. I’m surprised that it seems to have taken more dye than the other fabrics. Maybe it’s because the weave must be dense, as when wet, it’s quite heavy. The fabric on the bottom of the pile on the left was a thin white cotton t-shirt.
Gentle and subtle alchemy to mark my 444th blog post.