FF 27032015 Bandstand by David StewartEvery Friday writers worldwide gather round the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. You don’t have to write to read. Click on the blue frog at the end of my story to access all the other stories written to this week’s prompt. Readers’ comments are welcome. This week’s photo prompt is courtesy David Stewart. Thanks, David. Here’s the story your photo inspired:

The Dress with the Tennis Racquets Stamped All Over It

“Takes you back, don’t it, ol’ bandstand.”
She laughed. “Remember the night we crawled under and it was already occupied?”
“Billy and Lorraine.”
“Lorraine anyway, could have been any of the boys. She broke ‘em in like wild horses.”
“Except you.”
“… course. Remember our first?”
“You don’t forget losing your virginity.”
“Tore your dress off, with a line from Jailhouse Rock.”
“That ain’t tactics, honey, that’s just the beast in me.”
“That dress was something. Tight ‘n plunging. Little tennis racquets stamped all over it.”
Next thing he had a handbag wedged in his mouth.
“That was Lorraine’s dress!”

Ann Isik
100 Words

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: The Dress with the Tennis Racquets Stamped All Over It

1. mjlstories says:

I love that this is all dialogue – can get confusing, but you’ve sorted this out so it’s dead easy to follow who’s saying what. Fun story!

FF has really helped me write dialogue. Actually, what it’s done is made me realise that it’s not that I couldn’t write dialogue, but that I was frightened of writing dialogue. And just about any sort of writing at all! I can write dialogue now – not necessarily good dialogue, but something that I can work on. 🙂

You left me laughing out loud. I hope there was room for the handbag in his mouth since his foot had already taken up residence. Clever piece and spot on dialogue.

3. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Ann,

You took us all for a romp in the hay beneath the bandstand and left us with a handbag wedged in our mouths and laughter in our hearts. I so loved this story. Very well crafted.

Aloha,

Doug

4. A guy has to know those dresses – seems like Lorraine got all the fun in the end.. Hope they can laugh at it yet…

5. jwdwrites says:

Great little story Ann, I loved the ending. 🙂

6. Taygibay says:

LOLOLOLOLOL Excellent!

7. Margaret says:

He was probably feeling very proud of himself that he remembered the dress, and expecting a nice rewardd for being so romantic. Serves him right. Fun story.

8. Jan Brown says:

That’s hysterical! I hope it was a long, long time ago, long enough to forgive. But for now, he can chew on the handbag and think about the value of truthfulness–or at least keeping one’s mouth shut 😉

9. Nan Falkner says:

Well at least he finally got found out! Great tale! Nan

10. Dale says:

Tsk, tsk, tsk! Foolish man! Was NOT expecting that one! Great job!

11. milliethom says:

Now this is clever, Ann. I love the way the story plays out, and the ending is just hilarious. Great accent, too. Pity he had to open that big mouth of his … after a number of years, too. 🙂

12. k rawson says:

A foot in that mouth along with the handbag!

13. rgayer55 says:

Details, details, details. 🙂 As they say, the Devil is in the details. Everything was going fine until he mentioned those damn tennis rackets. Great job, Ann. I’m still smiling.

14. Dee says:

Brilliant punchline, loved this tale of teenage fumbling under the bandstand.

15. afairymind says:

Oops! And the truth is revealed. 🙂 Great story with great dialogue.

16. Gotta keep your women straight. Rule #1.
    Duck fast when you don’t. Rule #2.

Randy

17. micklively says:

Very clever punch-line: I’m still laughing.

18. Whoops! Open mouth, insert foot. Great last line.

19. ansumani says:

The truth always comes out…Nice one!