Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: Bloodtide Sunday

On On Off (c) T Strutz

On On Off (c) T Strutz

Every Friday writers worldwide gather round the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism.

You don’t have to write to read. Click on the blue frog at the end of my story to access all the other stories written to this week’s prompt. Readers’ comments are welcome.

This week’s photo has been provided by Ted Strutz.  Thanks, Ted. Your photo inspired the following story, which this week, is in poem-form.

If a gypsy fortune teller had ever told me that one day I’d write a poem about an electric power point I’d have asked for my silver coin back.

Bloodtide Sunday

On (slam) off
morning noon eventide
monday tuesday wednesday thursday
suntide moontide snowtime sunday

snipetime snaptime bloodtide sunday

Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: Bloodtide Sunday

1. Margaret says:

The days roll by, the seasons roll by, and the work goes on – noisy, repetitive work – until ‘snaptime’ and that’s when it gets violent. Wonderful. I could hear the machines, feel the frustration of the people whose lives are in bondage to them. I love the rhythm and sounds of this.

Thank you, Margaret. I’m glad you managed to fathom something from my peculiar little poem. Odd, but I recommended to another reader that they ‘clog’ dance to my poem. A tongue in cheek throwaway remark, but clog dancing has its origins in the Lancashire mills and the dancing mimicked the sounds and rhythms of the machines.

I wish I could say I was the only one who got it, but I’m in the dark as much as anyone. Bloodtide threw me. There is a rhythm to it that’s nice.

3. Actually poetry is about the words.. the shape the way they roll of the tongue, and the on-off switch has a musical element .. and that element of a week of routine from the power-switch.. It would have been fun to hear it read, this could work as slam-poetry

Well, I’d not heard of slam poetry. I sounds like it might be painful. I like what you write otherwise. Thoughtful. Insightful. As only a poet can be. Thank you. Yes, poetry is the closest of the arts to music. 🙂

Sounds a bit like life at home when I was a kid. 😉

5. mjlstories says:

A wriddle wrapped in an enigma…
    I love this.

6. I don’t get it! But I sense a lot of aggression hidden in that! It would be good to hear it read out as you mean it to be.
    I googled Bloodtide and now have another book to read. Damn!

7. A bit of OCD maybe??

8. plaridel says:

scenes from a couple on their honeymoon in the process of really getting to know each. that’s what i imagine. the good and the bad.

9. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Ann, Your poem is interesting – but honestly, I don’t get it. Sorry, I’m not that smart. If you could tell me more perhaps? Nan 🙂