A New Year: No Timetable


Eco Print Encaustic on Khadi Paper January 2015

Eco Print Encaustic on Khadi Paper January 2015

I’ve been somewhat quiet on the blog over Christmas and New Year. That doesn’t mean I’ve been doing nothing. On the contrary. I spent the Christmas period looking at art. I looked and looked. I must have looked at hundreds even thousands of images, of all media. This was mainly through Pinterest. I met some new people, made fine new artistic connections. It is awe-inspiring, all the creativity going on, and to be able to link up with creative folks everywhere.

I thought and thought, too, over the holidays. One thing I haven’t thought of doing this year is a 2015 timetable. I have a folder full of annual timetables. Some of them are very prettily done. I should frame and exhibit them. As timetables, all they achieved was to prove to me how it is impossible for me to achieve all that I want to achieve. So instead of wasting two weeks working out another impossible to do timetable, I decided just to get on with the impossible work.

Get out of bed, do the work. I suppose that’s a timetable.

Eco Print Encaustic on Square Khadi Paper Autumnal Ornamental  Cherry Leaves Frozen Side I 21 January 2015I’ve done a heap of eco prints on a variety of surfaces. I’ll be developing those in various directions. This here is on khadi paper and I’ve then added a layer of encaustic. It’s only 6 inches square. It’s translucent, held up to the light. It looks like a collage, but it’s not. The plant matter I used has embossed the paper. They are imprints, like fossil imprints.

And it’s the first work I’ve put up for sale in my very newly reactivated Etsy shop, which was very dusty and cobweb-ridden. I plan to use the shop to sell small works.

The works will be fragments of larger projects. Well, my Below the Line project, which I’ve been having lots of ideas about. I figured out, during all my looking and thinking over Christmas, how to describe what is to be found Below the Line. Or at least, one way.

I felt this eco print was good enough to let go (to a good home).  You can read all about how it came about in the shop.

Definition of art: something to say and a method of saying it. Simple; well, not.

Ann

 

 

About AnnIsikArts

Artist/Writer, Proofreader/Copy Editor
This entry was posted in Art, Encaustic Art, Printmaking and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to A New Year: No Timetable

  1. smgilmore says:

    These are great. I’m intrigued as to how you used the paper. Did you steam it? I suppose I wondering how the heat and moisture effected the paper? I have got a number of bundles in fabrics that are concocting- I do find it an exciting process. Good luck with your selling.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. smgilmore says:

    These are great. I’m intrigued as to how you used the paper. Did you steam it? I suppose I wondering how the heat and moisture effected the paper? I have got a number of bundles in fabrics that are concocting- I do find it an exciting process. Good luck with your selling.

    Like

    • AnnIsikArts says:

      Hi Sue. These are two sides of the same work. Held up to the light, it’s translucent and reveals another dimension. I find that interesting, the metaphysics, a dimension only revealed by light. I soaked the paper in rainwater with a vinegar mordant, squeezed it out and flattened it, added my plant material, which is largely autumn-coloured leaves from our ornamental cherry tree. I put them in bags, sealed and froze them. They were frozen for some weeks. In accordance with India Flint’s Ice Flower dyeing technique from her book ‘Eco Dyeing’, I defrosted them in lukewarm water. With flowers, this serves to release the colour better. Something to do with the breaking of vessels in the matter. I rolled it up into a cigar shape and bound it with recycled sari silk yarn and steamed it with some other bundles for a couple of hours over the vinegar-mordanted water.There’s some eucalyptus leaves in there too. I think. I left the bundle for a week before unwrapping, let it dry and cure for a week and then ironed it. After another while, I brushed hot uncoloured encaustic wax (home made) on both sides. The plant matter has left an imprint on the paper. I suppose that’s to do with swelling and drying and the binding (metaphysics again!) I ‘fused’ the wax with a heat gun. It’s stiff and quite dull. And it’s sold! 🙂 Let me know if you try something similar. I would be interested to see your results. A batch I did has a lot of black in it. I’ll be posting these sometime soon.

      Like

Share your light here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s