Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: Fish’n Chips

Dining Room Jan Wayne Fields FF 16012015Every Friday authors worldwide gather round the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo, Dining Room, has been provided by Jan Wayne Fields. Thanks, Jan, your photo inspired the following tale:

Fish’n Chips

His parents didn’t come to the wedding; their gift a garish orange dinner service – cheap fairground prize won long ago.
“Carnival glass is collectable these days,” Adi had said, generously, adding, “they’ll come round. Patience!”
It was his mother, really.
“That’s a beautiful necklace,” said Adi warmly, across the table.
“A family piece.”
Matt glanced at the bejewelled cross dangling from his mother’s throat.
“I’d hoped to hand it down to my daughter-in-law, … but I expect you have your own family jewellery.”
Adi’s face fell. “Sadly, no. The nazis … “ She rose, lifted the lids from two tureens set in the middle of the table.”
“Fish and chips. How … British.”
“Fish’n chips,” Adi said, smiling mischievously, “were introduced into Britain by Sephardi Jews.”

Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: Fish’n Chips

1. I enjoyed this story very much! With a daughter in law like that, I’m sure the mother gows very fond of her in a short time!

2. Margaret says:

Family tensions can focus on all sorts of things – but it seems there are always tensions. I don’t know a family without them. Nicely depicted here.

3. I love the tale.. how much you can capture in a dialogue.. and I think fish and chips is perfect for an occasion like this.. I have missed your stories 🙂

4. Susan says:

I have to get my husband to do this. Is there a link to this.

5. I enjoyed the story, but noticed a mispelling. A second l in jewelry.

First it’s nice to see you back. Second this could very well be one of my favorites this week. It’s subtle and, at the same time, takes direct aim and hits the bull’s eye.

Thanks for your welcome back, Rochelle. I never knew till researching, that the food considered so British (fish and chips) is actually Kosher. And though over my word limit this week, in November I managed to write a suite of 4 stories, from scratch, to a deadline, of exactly 750,750,100 and 65 words each, in 24 hours. And that’s entirely down to the discipline and practice of writing with Friday Fictioneers each week. Happy 2015.

7. Sarah Ann says:

What a delightful mother-in-law, but I think Adi is a match for her. Adi’s warmth and tolerance come across very clearly.

Thank you. Adi (the name translates from the Hebrew into ‘jewel’ by the way) as a character is definitely not autobiographical – I might have put arsenic in the dinner! 🙂

8. Amy Reese says:

I didn’t know that about Fish n’ Chips. 🙂 Jewelry is passed down to generations, but so is food, isn’t it? In family recipes and things that are priceless. Great story, Ann Welcome back!

9. hafong says:

Mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws can provide some much stuff for our writing! So I am quite grateful for all the angst from families and friends, etc. You’ve caught the emotions and undercurrents wonderfully true!

Lily

10. I like that Adi is sparring without animus, at least as you portrayed it. She has a far better chance of doing well that way and not alienating her husband, who hopefully will also stand up for. Echoing Sandra, nice to have you back. Hope all’s well and not too hectic.

11. I think the daughter-in-law is going to give as good as she gets.
    Claire

12. MissTiffany says:

Isn’t it always (or a lot of the time) a struggle with the mother in-law? Go daughter-in-law! I enjoyed this immensely.

Thank you. Yes, it is usually a difficult relationship and it never has anything to do with what it is said to be is about – in this case, the excuse of differing religions.

Jeez – back. 😦

One-nil to the daughter-in-law. Nicely done. Haven’t seen you around here for a while Ann. Glad to have you bak.