Friday Fictioneers Flash Fiction Challenge: Parked and Hitched

Parked (c) Roger Bultot

Parked (c) Roger Bultot

Every Friday authors worldwide gather around the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Roger Bultot. Thanks Roger.

Parked and Hitched

“Driver parked the truck and vanished.”
“Abducted by aliens.”
We roared with laughter. The waitress glared.
“My ancestor ran off to California – gold rush era. Just disappeared.”
“Abducted by aliens.”
We groaned loudly.
“Happens all the time – man leaves the house to fetch a newspaper; woman leaves her bed in the night; …”
“Aliens don’t exist,” I protested, as usual.
We were a bunch of carefree university kids, messing about in a coffee shop.
“There’s tons of evidence.”
I slapped one of his faces – coyly – with a tendril. We’re married now, Kkur and I.

(c) Ann Isik 2014

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Friday Fictioneers Flash Fiction Challenge: Parked and Hitched

1. Ann, Good twist at the end. I didn’t see that one coming. Amusing story, and well written. 🙂 —Susan

2. subroto says:

Kkur probably gets enough tendril looks cast at him. Nice ET twist in the story.

3. Lovely one. Did he propose in stereo?

4. draliman says:

Nice twist at the end!

5. Sarah Ann says:

I can’t say very clever for writing from the POV of an alien because they don’t exist. Lovely story and well expressed emotion, from the audible groans of the youngsters to the inviting shyness of the (tendril) slap.

6. Dear Anne,

I’m guessing this takes place on a planet other than earth? Clever.

Or an earth re-populated by ETs in a time so ancient it’s dropped out of history, perhaps. Who knows? The human race may just be (tendril-less) interlopers! The photo prompt was enigmatic.

7. pattisj says:

LOL Good one, Ann. I miss the virtual fireside gathering, I need to get my schedule in order.

Thanks, Patti. And I look forward to warming my hands with yours round the FF fireside in the not too distant future. I like your macros. Might join Macro Monday 2. Have tons of them. 🙂

8. Sun says:

i wonder if Kkur saw that coming? 🙂 love your title too!