Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Challenge: The Grand Tour

(c) 2014 Bjorn RudbergEvery Friday authors worldwide gather around the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Bjorn Rudberg. Thanks Bjorn!

The Grand Tour

I went travelling. The Grand Tour, they called it. All the rich young men went and marvelled at ruins, as fashion dictated.

My guide told me a tale of one youth, who, unfulfilled by ruin, ventured further than fashion and found himself amongst mountains, in a snow storm which died into a cradling mist, then lifted, revealing to the boy walls and tall towers, girdling gardens of rill and incense trees, a sacred river plunging to the sea.

I asked my guide what was this place.

“The folly of a great king.”

“And what of the boy?”

“He became a child.”

(c) Ann Isik 2014

Acknowledgements:
Kubla Khan; Samuel Taylor Coleridge, (1772–1834), courtesy The Poetry Foundation

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Challenge: The Grand Tour

1. Sarah Ann says:

Beautifully evocative. Love the middle paragraph pulling us in and painting that picture in contrast to the later short fact giving lines. As for ‘unfulfilled by ruin’ – what a state to be in. Great tale. Glad to hear in your replies to others that your shoulder continues to improve.

2. subroto says:

Beautiful and poetic. Just like being in Xanadu. 🙂

3. Ann, I’m glad to hear your shoulder is healing at a fast rate. Lovely story with great description. I could see the mists rising and the “walls and tall towers” appearing. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

4. plaridel says:

as always in a tour, somebody will venture out from the group with unpredictable consequences. 🙂

5. K.Z. says:

love the poetic take on the prompt. i saw the other comments, i hope you feel better soon 🙂

6. A story within a story, beautifully done.

7. draliman says:

I love your description in this piece, and the line “ventured further than fashion” following on from it being the fashionable thing to do.

8. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful, I love the poetry style.

9. The depth of your story is amazing..the inclusion of Coleridge is just amazing.. Loved that reference…

10. julespaige says:

Nice. I’m not at Friday Fictioneers every week. But I did post last week.
    Thanks for visiting my short verse site.

I’m pleased to read that your shoulder’s getting better. Nicely done on your story as well. Poetic.

Thank you, Rochelle. I am limited as to what I can do, so the story is not last for once! The last time I FF’ed I couldn’t lift my wrist from the keyboard to write, but now I can type normally.

You’re early this week. Hope the shoulder is healing nicely. Loved your story, it had a magic of its own.

Thanks Sandra. I’m in the middle of re-reading Reeva as I write, alliteratively. Yes, my shoulder gets better daily. I’m glad that I managed to make some sort of sense in my story this week, (again writing alliteratively).