Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Challenge: Cornered

Copyright: Adam Ickes

Copyright: Adam Ickes

Every Friday authors worldwide gather around the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Adam Ickes. Thanks Adam!

It’s been a bit of a struggle to write this story, not from an intellectual viewpoint, but due to my broken shoulder, though it is mending day by day. At least my fingers work, as long as I place the wrist belonging to the broken shoulder on my laptop so they can reach the keys.

Here’s the story Adam’s photo inspired:

Cornered

A goat took up residence in a corner.

“He can’t live here.”

“His belly’ll tell him.”

Press came; religious groups offering garlands, money. Animal militants smashed windows.

“He’s just sitting!”

Bill was to be ‘sanctuaried’. The day came, it was a pop festival with riot police.
Bill surrendered. We saw the hole. There was a tunnel, strewn with ‘goat snacks’.

The press made a meal out of us ‘charlatans’.

We’re in hiding, anchored off this island, gathering fresh food for Bill. We rescued him back, bought the yacht from the money.

Bill’s in his corner, under Chagall’s (original) ‘Blue Goat’.

(c) Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Challenge: Cornered

1. I had a goat when I first moved to the country. My Hungarian grandma, who lived with me,named him Kecske (catch keh) which is the Hungarian word for goat. He thought he was a dog! I am so sorry to read about your broken shoulder! Hope it has gotten much better. Enjoyed your goat story!

A goat would think he’d gone to heaven if he lived with you on your property. My shoulder improves day by day, thanks. If you enjoyed my story, you are alone in that, as I had to cut too many words out to meet the 100 word target and seemingly rendered it unintelligible. Thanks for stopping by. Ann

2. Ann, I’m so sorry you had a bad accident and hope you heal as soon as possible. That woman with the dogs was very rude even if she didn’t know you were injured. Not everyone wants dogs climbing all over them. I have to admit that I was also a bit confused by the story. The writing was good however. I think it’s about a goat that was stubborn and wouldn’t leave a corner. People thought that the owners were making him stay there. Someone dug a tunnel from behind and “rescued” him and the owners took him back and escaped. The goat is now sitting in another corner under an expensive painting they bought. That’s what I understood from the story. 🙂 —Susan

Thanks Patricia. The shoulder heals day by day. I had to cut my story too much and it lost its sense. I’m out of practice. Thanks for trying with it though. The goat turned up in the corner. One of the human characters said that it couldn’t stay there. The other said that it would go when its belly told it, i.e. when it got hungry. It never got hungry. Word got about and the goat became an object of worship by various religious groups who decorated it with garlands of flowers and left money as offerings. Then animal rights folks protested and the religious groups started fighting between themselves and the goat was to be taken away to a sanctuary. When it got up, there was a hole under the goat, a tunnel, which had given the goat access to food. The two human characters were reviled in the press as tricksters and had to flee. They took all the money in donations, bought a yacht, rescued back the goat and now are all living in luxury in the tropics. The Chagall painting would have cost millions to buy and is supposed to be a humorous touch. Phew. Ann

3. tinabasu says:

hope your shoulder is better now

Tina from The Sunny Side of Life

Your accident sounds nasty and painful, although the image of you singing opera to the paramedics made me giggle.

I’ll admit to being a bit confused by your story. Although I am a Chagall fan. .;)

I had to cut to much to the story and see I’ve pared it into ‘obscure’. Out of practice. Accident was painful but as you see it had its funny bits. I managed to stagger onto a grassy area – half-passing out – to alert my husband – we had separated up – and there were lots of folks around exercising their dogs. He went off to call an ambulance and people just thought I was sitting on the ground. One couple had 3 poodle puppies who kept leaping onto my broken shoulder. I must have looked unamused as their ‘mummy’ snapped, “They’re just puppies!” and muttering under her breath to her partner. I wonder what she thought when 2 ambulances arrived with screaming klaxons and took me away! Thanks for reading. 🙂

5. ahtdoucette says:

Hope you feel better soon. Glad they got their goat back too.

I didn’t really ‘get’ the story Ann, even though the visual impact made me smile. I was more concerned about your shoulder anyway; and how it’s possible to break one. Are you going to spill the beans?

Hmmm. I wonder what I missed out? I thought I’d got some ‘social comment’ there, by accident! The shoulder? I had a confrontation with a cliff face and it won. Slammed down hard on my left elbow and the shoulder joint (humerus) just split – in three places. There is more, but can’t write about it publicly. I didn’t throw myself off the cliff though! What is funny is that my husband dialled 999 and got through to the French emergency services, who tried to help! In the end, two English ambulances turned up and argued about which hospital I ought to be taken to. I was given gas and air en route and ended up singing opera to my paramedics. I apologised, but they didn’t mind as quite often people get violent with them on gas and air!
      I shall dine out on this story for eons. It was nice to read how you’d met up with some FFictioneers as you sailed through France. Some day, when our boat is in the water, … 🙂

• Sandra says:

That sounds horrendously painful, Ann. After getting some painful jarring to both collarbone and shoulder whilst standing with arms akimbo (the teapot, as my husband calls it) I know just how the elbow can actually conduct force. Sympathies. Hope you’re better soon.

I had to delete too much from my story this week. It’s ended up unintentionally ‘obscure’. I’m out of practice.

Yes, the accident was painful. all but passed out – twice! My husband went black and white then started to pixelate. And I’ll not forget the crunching noise … It gets better daily. There was a possibility I’d have to have surgery to plate and pin it but it’s healing (enough) back into place. I’ll be starting physio next week. And I managed to climb onto and off the boat up ladders (with help) and do some interior painting with the right hand. As long as I can function to some degree, it’s not so bad.