Friday Fictioneers: Light

(c) Kent Bonham 2014

(c) Kent Bonham 2014

Every Friday authors worldwide gather around the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff and share stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by  fellow Friday Fictioneer Kent Bonham.

Thank you, Kent.

Here’s the story Kent’s photo inspired.

Light

I jumped at the invective, glanced away from the dangling spaghetti of cables to the spaghetti of veins on the back of the hand that came down gently onto my shoulder.
First day … annoyed an actor!
“Sorry, Chief.”
Chief shepherded me away.
Fresnels, trunnions, … the names’ll come, …”. He deftly snatched my swot sheet of lighting terms, scrumpled it into a ball.
“Chief.”

(c) Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: Light

I loved the spaghetti-veined hands. Better late than never was most certainly true in this case, Ann. Hope your troubles are soon behind you.

Thanks Sandra. It’s funny how images come to you. I saw the confusion of the young man looking up at the ‘spaghetti’ of wires and when his ‘chief’ turned up,the veins on the back of his hands. Two different kinds of ‘spaghetti’. Well, I have them too now! My situation is going to take time to sort out, but I have handling and coping measures in place now. Thanks for asking.:)

2. Hala J. says:

Insightful and nicely done!!

3. pattisj says:

Enjoyed your story, I imagine it is nearly impossible to work with some people in the entertainment industry (or otherwise). You wrote it very well.

4. draliman says:

The chief is a wise man indeed!

5. subroto says:

Really liked this and that last paragraph is so true, not just for actors, but in life as well.
    Another attempt as posting comments because I keep getting marked as spam.

6. Subroto says:

Nicely done. That last paragraph is so true, not just for actors, but in life as well.

7. Ann, I was just thinking of you and wondering where you were…and here you are! Glad you’re back. This piece really shines (if you’ll pardon the pun), particularly the last bit. The truths there transcend acting.

8. Oh this was excellent.. and so much truth.. not just about actors but of people in general.. some you can shine all the light in the world on, and they still dwindle…

9. cshowers says:

Very well written Ann, and very true as well…

“… but the day’ll come, you’ll know lighting isn’t about lamps. There’s some actors’ll light up a theatre without a candle. There’s those you can light from every angle and they’ll still be invisible.” These last lines were so true and well spoken. It applies to everyday life and everyday people as well, don’t you think? This was one of those pieces that leave you thinking.

God bless you,
    Cheryl

10. Really good story. Lighting technicians must know a lot about actors and performances. I’m sure most professional actors deeply appreciate the skills of the technicians. Stage lighting done well is an art.

Most actors appreciate that any production is about team work. Especially today. The days of the Hollywood ‘Diva’ are over. I’m thinking of an opera singer in particular, who became so monstrous, despite her fabulous voice and worldwide fame, was sacked from one of the big opera houses.

11. Love this piece. So true.

12. Nan Falkner says:

Jeepers! This is so true even in everyday life. Very insightful on your part. I love your story! Thanks! Nan 🙂

Better late than never. This might be my favorite of yours ever. That last paragraph says it all and goes for humanity, not just actors. Beautiful piece. Bravo!

shalom,

14. Great story Ann, I so know actors who feel into that last category, one review once said of some friends of mine, ” the actors were pedestrian to the point of discomfort” and they were!!