FF Photo Prompt 31 January 2014 by Claire Fuller   No Smoking in the WorkshopEvery Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Claire Fuller.  Thanks, Claire, for this intriguing and beautiful image.

The Rhythm and the Algorithm

No Smoking in Workshop.”  I laughed.
“What’s funny?”
“There’s nobody in it, ergo they all smoke.”
“Quod erat demonstrandum – not – mathemawifician. They could’ve been abducted by aliens.”
“Bigfoot?”
He shook his head.
“You’re right – no bones.”
“A palimpsest of time. Sunlight falling on a still-pleasing arrangement of line, plane, form and rhythm.”
“Algorithm.  Initial state, initial input describing a computation which, executed, proceeds, eventually producing an output.”
I glanced at him. A tear was following a furrow in his cheek.
“Phil?”
“I’m not describing the workshop.”
“What then, over-emotional artist husband?”
“The woman I married 30 years ago today.”

Ann Isik
100 Words

Click on the blue frog to access the stories written to this week’s photo prompt by my Fellow Friday Fictioneers:

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Friday Fictioneers Flash Fiction Challenge 31 January 2014: Rhythm and Algorithm

1. Ann,
    what a sweet ending. It sounds like they’re really comfortable with each other. I like the back and forth banter.
    -David

2. Nan Falkner says:

I really liked your story – It’s sweet and Happy Anniversary too! We have had quiet nights in on our anniversaries before and we really enjoyed them!

We had a lovely Christmas and Anniversary and New Year on our own too. Just us and the cat. First time in years. We visited with a couple of friends within walking distance on the evening of Christmas Day and just watched TV then walked home again. Thanks for reading my story. Ann

3. Romantic and sweet in an unconventional way. I loved this

4. Subroto says:

That’s a very interesting discussion going on there. A nice take on the prompt.

A rather sweet one this time. and I learned a new word…palimpsest. A new wrinkle in my brain. Thank you.

Thanks for reading Rochelle. I tried ‘palimpsest’ in a poem once: ‘a palimpsest of paths’ and it was just silly so I changed it to ‘layering’. I like the history of the palimpsest. It’s something I use in my visual work. 🙂

6. This is a really lovely story. Well done.

7. Not the way our anniversary conversations generally go, but they understand one and enjoy one another and that may be why they’ve stayed together so long.

Schmaltz away Ann, I enjoyed it.

9. draliman says:

Sounds like they have quite interesting discussions! Sweet ending.

10. Great take on the prompt. I like their dialog and the sweet ending.

11. Sun says:

so sweet, i really love your last sentence, Ann. thanks for a lovely story.