Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Pastoral

(c) Erin Leary

(c) Erin Leary

Every Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Erin Leary.  Thanks, Erin. This is a very beautiful image!

Here’s the story the image has inspired:

Pastoral

Conscious with the sense of having lain watching a sun rising through mists. Cold I saw I was naked amongst bracken. Rising to walk I clothed myself in fern feather twig and herb plucked from the forest floor. Hungry I foraged with other forest creatures. Years passed in deprivation. Came a winter bitterest of all yet I wasn’t cold. My garment had grown dense and long over time each layer reciting in rich or subtle colour a poem of its season. The forest’s food had made me strong and I walked in a song thronged by my forest friends.

Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, spirituality, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Pastoral

1. rgayer55 says:

I agree with Rochelle’s comment. There’s something comfortable and warm about this.

2. rgayer55 says:

I agree with Rochelle’s comment. There is something comfortable and warm about this.

This has the feeling of ancient folklore. Astral and poetic.

Thank you and perceptive. Strangely enough, it’s an echo of something I wrote that came out of nowhere when I was just beginning to write ‘seriously’ in about 2003. Later, I knew it to be a sort of blueprint of ‘the hero’s journey’.

4. beebeesworld says:

I write for Friday Fictioneers a lot-hope to see you there! beebee

5. JackieP says:

Interesting. I loved the descriptions.

Beautifully written Ann, well done.

7. I can picture this is my mind – you are very good with the descriptions! Very interesting in a good way! Thanks, Nan

8. Very descriptive and intriguing.