Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: The Radical Leap

(c) Rochelle Wisoff

(c) Rochelle Wisoff

Every Friday, from around the world, writers gather at the virtual fireside of  Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, prompted by a photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo is courtesy of Rochelle herself. Thank you, Rochelle. Here’s the story your photo inspired:

The Radical Leap

We trained the dog to keep guard in the tree. He sensed their return – in advance even of me. His barking gave us time to put Sammie’s security in place. Parents and paying guests would scour the house. Sammie would only materialise – a fleeting ghost – here and there. They never cottoned, being in a constant haze of drink, drugs or worse, withdrawal.  Today the guest was cold sober and swifter, determined to get his money’s worth from little Sammie.

“Why does he let it happen?”

“I asked him once. ‘Tzimtzumim’, he answered.”

“Meaning?”

“Angels have all the answers?”

(c) Ann Isik 2014

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, spirituality, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story: The Radical Leap

1. mike olley says:

Ann, reading this several times I am left with so many unanswered questions. The tale you tell is so very dark and I think you are right; the story extends far beyond 100 words. Frightening.

Thanks for reading Mike. I was worried about its darkness and nearly didn’t publish, but I saw that it does, in the end, open a door into a ‘space’ of light, so hit the publish button. After all, darkness exists and this is fiction and fiction is all about overcoming darkness (even in chic lit such as Bridget Jones). Speech over! Ann

2. Sun says:

very interesting, Ann, and i think a story i could grasp more fully if given more than 100 words…my imagination is intrigued now. 🙂

3. Ann, I’m completely at sea with this one, I hate to admit. I get the glimmer of what might have conjured the idea from your comments, but would be lost without those. 😦 I have a feeling, though, that the writing may have provided a tiny outlet for some of your distress over the horrific happenings in the UK and that’s good.

Thanks for reading Janet. I was concerned that I was bringing darkness, in this tale, which is not my aim, ever, but in the end, there is in that one Hebrew word, a sort of door to a place of light. I think in Christian terms it might parallel that ‘house of many mansions’. Hilary Mantel’s (Mann Booker Prize winner) book ‘Beyond Black’ deals with this depth of evil. I can’t answer my character’s question, only present some possibilities. 🙂

4. znjavid says:

Tzimtzumim is an interesting word. How did you come up with it?

The word’s from Jewish Mysticism. It’s one answer to the question people often ask when a child is subjected to abuse: How could God let that happen? And also: How can you believe in a God who allows this sort of thing to happen? In my story, even an angel hasn’t the answer … There have been some terrible cases reported in the news here in the UK recently. I think that’s what’s triggered my very dark tale! Ann

5. Oh this I had to read a couple of times… a mysterious and sinister twist indeed… that last guest seems to be the last one… hmm.. I’m not sure I want to hear the end of this.

Yes, it’s a very dark tale. I almost didn’t post it as it disturbed me that I’d written it. Worse – it’s come out of a real, recent event here in the UK.

Quite the guard dog, that Sammie. Although I’m a bit mystified by the conversation at the end.

My darkest tale yet. I worry about the state of my mind sometimes! The plot’s too complex for 100 words I think. It was triggered by a recent horrific event here in the UK.

7. Intriguing.
    AnElephant is inadequately versed in Hebrew to fully grasp this concept but your construction is excellent.