A Weekly Honing : Tradition

Social Fabric IX (Digital Mixed Media Art & Photography)

Social Fabric IX

I was recently contacted and asked if I’d like to write for a site called Hone Life.  I would write a short opinion, based on a single word which would be changed each Sunday, and accompany my article with a visual or visuals. The mission of Hone is to ‘inspire meaningful connections’. It’s meaningful social media. It’s about …developing deeper connections to reality, to the world, and to one’s unique self.

It sounds good. I’m not sure what is meant about deep connections to reality though. What is reality? Be realistic! is an exhortation I hear often. What is usually behind this expression is rejection. Rejection of a reality (mine) that is disagreeable to the exhorter.

This week’s word on Hone is Tradition. Tradition can be defined as the practice, or upkeep of a shared reality. On the spiritual/religious plane, it can act as a reinforcer of a belief system. Christians celebrate Christmas in various ways to reinforce Christian beliefs. Non-Christians celebrate Christmas too, for cultural, psychological and political belief systems. Like all activities, traditional practice can have both positive and negative effects. Like any activity, it can be of most benefit if practised mindfully. Mindfulness requires observation and contemplation.

Which is why I’ve agreed to participate in Hone. It sounds like an excellent way of becoming more mindful and sharing mindfulness. A more rewarding and useful way of socialising online.

I thought this image (above) appropriate to this topic. Entitled Social Fabric, it’s one of a series of digitally manipulated photos combining a fragment of china and a rusted purse clip. I found these objects while digging in the garden. Each has its history and story. When finished, the images reminded me of tartan fabric. The wearing of the tartan is a tradition.

What’s your take on tradition?

Ann

This entry was posted in Art, Inspiration, Photography, spirituality, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A Weekly Honing : Tradition

1. RonniN says:

I got a request to join the Hone site as well! So far, I’ve participated in two “Honing” opportunities, the first one about “Silence”, the second about “Relection”. I think it is an interesting social experiment as well, and a good way to find out more about what is going on in the hearts and minds of my fellow humans… that has nothing to do with what they are making for dinner tonight, where they are shopping right now, or how cute they think their kids are.

Thanks for checking out my blog “You Don’t Know Me, But You Will…”, I look forward to connecting with yours as often as possible. I’ve been away for awhile, but I’m hoping to change that in the New Year.

• RonniN says:

Oh, on traditions: I think they are an interesting phenomena, one that seems to be changing, if not actually evolving, in the lives of different people and cultures around the world. I think we still need traditions to anchor us to our humanity, and one another. They help us to feel we belong, in the absence of a deeper, spiritual certainty that we already do. One tradition my parents passed on to me is to question everything, and to keep searching. Our more mundane traditions have changed drastically over the years, with the loss of family members, children growing up and having children of their own, and new members entering our “family circle”. We are not part of a larger, community tradition…those seem to have gone out with the 20th Century, at least in larger city communities.

Happy New Year! We have parallel minds in what you write, especially in what you express about the larger community traditions. We are so fragmented and far-flung (society) and traditions have, I think, become even more important. Tradition is not just sentiment. I will be posting today on the word for the week ‘Reflections’. I will look out for your article. Ann

• RonniN says:

Thanks, and I will look for yours!

I replied a couple of days ago, Ronni, to your comments and they just disappeared. Grrrh! Just visited your blog. Love the CARVED CRAYONS y yo hablo el espanol. (No, I don’t speak Spanish. I have Spanish O-level from 46 years ago). I was stunned to read you’ve added me to your ‘These Blogs Rock’ list! I wondered why I was feeling seasick this morning. I’m delighted we are both writing for Honelife. We share the sentiments you express about the whole social media scene, I think. Thanks for reading. Ann

2. “Deeper connections to reality” is just what my teen-aged daughter needs! I love the image, it’s cool that you can get something pretty out of junk you dug up.

Well, I’m 62 and not a great fan of ‘reality’ as it’s handed out! I would recommend your teenager to rebel, so keep me away from her. Joking, of course, but it’s a dangerous word ‘reality’. Thanks for reading. I think Hone is going to develop into an interesting form of social media. I hope anyway. Ann

3. What a great topic to contemplate Ann.
    Australia being a ‘young’ country in respect to others in Europe we don’t have many traditions as more that’s how we do it.
    Within family there is a great sense of tradition. I know that within my family there are certain things that must happen at certain times in order for family to feel a sense of belonging and that we do that activity at that time.
    Christmas is one example. For a variety of reasons it evolved that Christmas night was always spent at my parents place, now my place. With my parents now gone and the family home mine my kids are very keen to see that Christmas night still happen here. There becomes an expectation that this is what we do on that night and woe betide anyone who suggests that we should do it any differently.
    I think tradition is a wonderful practice as in many cases it creates a sense of belonging, of being a part of some thing that you believe is not only important but also crucial to your understanding of how the world is.

Not sure if that is in any way useful Ann but that’s my view.

Hi Michael. I was looking for an email I thought I got from you yesterday that said you’d have to bow out of Friday Fictioneers due to other commitments. Couldn’t find it. I wonder if I dreamed it? It seemed odd since you’d sent me a card hoping we’d continue critting each other’s work in 2014. That’s a great take on tradition. It’s good you are able to provide continuity of tradition in the family home. My immediate family are all gone: I’ve outlived three younger brothers and both parents. I had no children so it’s just the two of us. And it’s our 19th wedding anniversary today (we’ve been together 30 years though). So, it’s a tradition of two for us! Happy New Year. Ann

• Hi Ann, I afraid you must have dreamt that, FF is alive and well this week. Congratulations on 19/30 years together, that is wonderful. I have always been in awe of people who love each other and go on day after day. My younger brother is the same, well over thirty years married and still in love. I’m glad my take was ok, I did worry you might have thought it a bit frivolous. Tradition within family is important, the younger ones either embrace it or not. Our Christmas evening dinner is enjoyed by all who attend. Its what my kids have grown up doing. I bet after all that time together you two have a number of ‘traditions’ you observe. Happy New Year to you too.

Oh, no! My dream life is fusing with my waking life! But I’m really pleased to know you’re not bowing out of FF. I can’t always do FF. I’ve even sometimes written the story and not had the time to post it! My husband and I have been through a lot together over the years, not the least being his brain tumour. He’s been in remission just over 7 years (November 7)now. So Christmas is also a time for being thankful for that. Of course what you wrote is not ‘frivolous’! Your tradition helps cement a family unit. That’s got to be good in our sorely fragmented society. And yes, we have traditions. We have a Christmas tree with ornaments gathered over 30 years. Each year I buy one new one. Each has its history. 🙂

• Now buying a new ornament each year that is a tradition. Especially when you can relate the history of each. i hope you have a great new year.My best wishes.

Same to you. Decided my word for 2014 isn’t ‘consolidation’ as that didn’t work for 2013! It’s ‘mindfulness’ for 2014. I reckon if I engage my brainheart better, I’ll do ‘consolidate’ better! Ann

• You do better than me, I don’t do New Year words or resolutions, just try and stay alive and well. That’s a task in self. But 2014 is going to be a year of adventure for me, i hope.

I hope you’ll share tales of your adventues. Ann