Every Friday, from around the world, writers gather at the virtual fireside of Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, inspired by a photograph and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo is courtesy of Jean L Hays.
La Vie en Bleue
“What’s that fish, mommy?”
I was observing, through the blue bits of the glass dolphin embedded in the door, the rippling apartment building opposite.
“It’s a dolphin. Dolphins aren’t fish.”
“Is a fish!”
At the bottom of the building, red plastic traffic cones contorted.
“Dolphins are like humans.”
“Looks like a fish.”
“Dolphins have warm blood, lungs. Fish blood’s cold, they have gills. Dolphins have babies. Fish lay eggs.”
“Will I have babies?”
What was I talking about? Dolphins were fished to extinction when grain crops failed globally. She’d never have babies.
“Cellar, now. Magnetic storm coming.”
- Flash Fiction Challenge – Prompt One (thaininvain.com)
- 1 x 50 x 100 Flash Fiction (readinpleasure.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction : In Too Deep (thezombiechimp.com)
- 1 x 500 x 52=2014 Flash Fiction Challenge (thaininvain.com)
- Review – Flash Fiction Online #3 (breathesbooks.wordpress.com)
- Apex Flash Fiction Contest (kyrabandte.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Challenge: 200 Words at a Time, Part One (anaedream.com)