Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story Challenge: La Vie en Bleue

Friday Fictioneers  Photo Prompt  Dolphin by Jean L Hays 20 December 2013Every Friday, from around the world, writers gather at the virtual fireside of  Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, inspired by a photograph and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo is courtesy of Jean L Hays.

La Vie en Bleue

“What’s that fish, mommy?”

I was observing, through the blue bits of the glass dolphin embedded in the door, the rippling apartment building opposite.

“It’s a dolphin. Dolphins aren’t fish.”

Is a fish!”

At the bottom of the building, red plastic traffic cones contorted.

“Dolphins are like humans.”

Looks like a fish.”

“Dolphins have warm blood, lungs. Fish blood’s cold, they have gills. Dolphins have babies. Fish lay eggs.”

“Will I have babies?”

What was I talking about? Dolphins were fished to extinction when grain crops failed globally. She’d never have babies.

“Cellar, now. Magnetic storm coming.”

Ann Isik
99 Words

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Ecology, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100 Word Flash Fiction Story Challenge: La Vie en Bleue

1. draliman says:

Unfortunately a future which could actually happen 😦 I guess after a global crop failure the human race is also somewhat diminished – I can’t believe there are (were) enough dolphins to feed everyone.
    Nice bit of dialogue!

They ate the whales and sharks too! (And cod would have been fished to extinction here in the English Channel without legislation to restrict fishing). I would say I’m glad to be vegetarian, but last year’s weather 2012 was disastrous for fruit, veg and grain crops. But do have a nice Christmas. Don’t want to scare you just before Santa arrives! Ann

2. kz says:

wow i totally loved the shocking switch at the end. a very interesting and chilling tale. happy holidays 🙂

3. Glynis says:

An apocalyptic take on the prompt, and what a scary one at that. Nice, I wasn’t prepared for that end. 🙂

4. pattisj says:

Nice read, it makes one pause to think.

5. I hope we never see this day. The day we longer the dolphins swim the sea is a sad day, indeed. Riveting story, Ann! Happy Holidays to you. – Amy

That was a rather chilling ending and, hopefully, not prophetic. Spot on dialogue. Nice one.

7. liz young says:

Sad apocalyptic tale but well written.

You’re getting into the Christmas spirit early then! 🙂 Good story, nice dialogue. (Oddly enough, I’ve been working on a story entitled La Vie en Rose this week). Have a good Christmas.

Ah synchronicity! Yes, my tale is somewhat bleak for the season, but I only write stuff down. Where it comes from is a mystery, largely! That’s interesting about your Vie en Rose. I’ve been having strange dreams recently … Zeitgeist … Happy Christmas! Ann 🙂

9. Your piece has made me want to know more about the world you’ve created, Ann. Magnetic storms, no crops and we’ve eaten all the dolphins, an almost sacred fish? I’m intrigued.

10. Great, unexpected pay-off

11. Nice switch at the end. I was still waiting to meet Flipper;now it’s never gonna happen?

I’ll write a sequel where you can hope to meet Flipper ‘on the other side’ some day! I always get this cheerful around Christmas … Thanks for commenting 🙂

12. A clever denouement. And a “lucky escape”. All profoundly sad.

13. Jan Brown says:

Sad story, but contains more truth than we care to think about….

14. Al says:

Wow. That’s pretty heavy. Love it. And wonder how long before it is no longer fiction

15. Interesting piece Ann, somewhat pessimistic about our future. Enjoyed the dialogue though, well done.