NaBloPoMo XX: Editing and Proofreading Revisited

Leaf & Blood: Book II of The Laurel Grove Mysteries

Leaf & Blood: Book II of The Laurel Grove Mysteries

I promised yesterday   to reveal what the blooper was in the extract I posted from a book I’m reading on my Kindle. Here’s the text again:

He held out a hand.  “I’m John Smith.”
“Jane Brown,” said Jane, …
“Are you on holiday?” asked Jane.
“Yes. I … excuse me.”
I didn’t get his name, thought Jane. He’s very attractive.

I don’t suppose I need to point it out, as it’s such a glaring mistake, but for the record – in the first line character A tells character B his name. In the last line, character B is telling us that she didn’t get his name!

Reading on, I soon came across another error in this book, a spelling error this time. Here’s the text:

“… What about [Teresa Trimmington]? She leant [Frederica] her diamond necklace and …”

Again, I’ve changed the names of the characters. Spot the spelling goof?  Yes, it’s leant. Leant is the past participle of the verb to lean. One could also use leaned. According to Cambridge Dictionaries Online (British English section), lean means to cause to slope in one direction or to move the top part of the body in a particular direction.

The correct word, however, to use in this context is lent, which is the past participle of the verb to lend, meaning in this context, to grant to (someone) the use of (something) on the understanding that it will be returned. (This definition is from Oxford Dictionaries Online.  One could also use loaned, from the verb to loan.

And again, if you are writing text, you need an editor/proofreader. You won’t find your own errors, because you don’t want to. (I don’t find my own, even though I’m a trained proofreader). Hire me! I’m cheap and fast – as a proofreader, that is! Maybe I should claim to be cheap and thorough as a proofreader, which is preferable to being fast, though I can be fast too, though it’s best not to rush editing and proofing.

I’ve read that proofreaders are visualised as boring, bald, round-shouldered nitpickers who slouch around in old cardigans. I have all my hair, wouldn’t be seen dead in an old cardigan, and I learned (neither leaned, nor lent) to carry myself well as a ballroom/Latin American/ice dancer and now as a singer. (Amateur sopranos carry themselves just as uprightly as professional ones).  Nitpicker? Well … but that’s a positive personality trait for a proofreader!

Happy reading!

Ann

This entry was posted in Editing & Proofreading, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to NaBloPoMo XX: Editing and Proofreading Revisited

1. Susan says:

Oh my husband is a ruthless editor. So many of our books are underlined where he finds grammatical and spelling errors.

If you really want me to froth at the mouth, ask me about apostrophes! I’ve been known to rub out and correct menus written in chalk on boards positioned on the street outside restaurants. Or should I write ‘menu’s’! Aaargh! It’s like waving a red flag to a bull! I refuse to eat at restaurants who abuse the apostrophe on their menus! I’ve also laughed until I cried at menus written in ‘French’. If they can’t spell he names of their dishes, I certainly can’t eat them!

2. Taygibay says:

The penultimate pun in the list was inspired by your proofreading rants 😉 Thnx Tay.

Very funny! I also have puzzled over the L’Oreal thing. Who does their marketing?

• Taygibay says:

LOL Yeap! One would think they’d have found that first, right?
        It reminds me that in fashion and beauty, the best ad I ever heard was for Azzaro’s masculine fragrance.
        “For men who love women who love Men.”
        😉

Implicit in Azzzaro’s marketing is that this fragrance is not for men who love women who don’t love men, for men who do not love women who love men, for men who do not love women, for men who love men, for men who love only themselves, for men who love women who love women … in short, this fragrance is only suitable for a few men!!! 🙂

• Taygibay says:

Guilty? 😎

I’m guilty of spelling Azzaro with three ‘z’s! Like I said, you can’t proofread your own work! Ann