Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Black Moon

Friday Fictioneers Photo Prompt 20 September 2013 The Second Hand Shop by John NixonEvery Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by John Nixon. Thanks John.

I’m calling this story Black Moon, but I might equally have given it the same name as my previous FF flash fiction story: It’s Not What You’re Looking At. If I’m fixated, maybe it’s because I’m seeing – being shown – that every action we take is perception-driven? And the consequences of this.

I welcome comments. They are how I improve my writing.

Black Moon

“What are we to divine from this vision, Gelderick.”

“Whatever Black Moon wishes us to divine. Look – She is reflected in the standing up water!”

“I see no Black Moon.”

“You look, Barbara, but never see!  The old man – Wizard.”

“How do you divine that?”

“Can Ordinaries make water stand up, then penetrate its surface without spill?

“… those floating words – second hand – where is the first?”

“The wizard stirs, trapped beings quake!”

“His prisoners?”

“ See you not the pale witch?”

“Witch?”

“She quakes not. Black Moon shows us – to conquer this planet, we must kill its pale witches.”

Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Black Moon

1. Pingback: Photo Fiction; 500 Years Later | terry1954

2. Ah.. I didn’t read this as an alien story at all … more like children with a very vivid fantasy… but that’s maybe the whole point 🙂 I liked the story as I read it anyway

3. Linda Vernon says:

Oh I love this. They have no clue. They’ve come to all the wrong conclusions. It makes you wonder how many wrong conclusions we come to everyday. Fun and thought-provoking piece, Ann.

4. gingerpoetry says:

Of course I had to read more than once to understand the whole story 🙂 It´s great! What an outstanding idea to let aliens speak. – looking forward to more!
    Carmen

5. pattisj says:

I liked the “standing up water, ” too.

Quite a story. You’ve certainly internalized the concept of writing what you see. 😉

shalom,

7. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Ann,

I love how you interpreted all the different items from the picture. Very cool. Standing up water was my favorite.

Aloha,

Doug

Now that was different! Well done.

9. We pale witches are in big trouble. I think I’m headed behind the waterfall!

10. Oh dear – so much misinterpretation of what they’re looking at, but they’re going to cause trouble anyway, aren’t they? Very cleverly told – I like it (especially the “standing up water”)!

11. summerstommy2 says:

Hello Ann what an interesting take on the prompt. Aliens? I find it fascinating that so often we write aliens as malevolent beings, nothing wrong with that only it intrigues me that we commonly see them that way. I also like the language style, gives the characters a feel that I can identify with. Well done.

Thanks for reading. My perception of the alien thing though, is the opposite. I get irritated reading stories/watching films about aliens who are deemed superior to us humans – only because they have apparently superior technology. I say Down! with the Age of ‘Enlightenment’ and Scientific Determinism. 🙂