Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: The Bee

(c) Jennifer Pendergast

(c) Jennifer Pendergast

Every Friday authors from around the world gather at the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired – regardless of genre – by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

This weeks’ photo prompt has been provided by Jennifer Pendergast (Elmo Writes). Thanks, Jennifer.

Here’s the story Jennifer’s photo inspired:

The Bee

“… biggest bird I ever seen!”

“Nope – bee.”

“Bee, Grandpa?”

“Insect.”

“Insects are little.”

“That’s a statue. Bees weren’t any bigger than your thumbnail.”

“Why’s they put a statue of it here?”

“Warn us.”

“Warn – what of?”

“What it cost – neglecting nature.”

“Which was?”

“Nature itself, Cindy. See you had to have bees to grow food. We poisoned the bees – so we couldn’t feed ourselves. Most died. Lucky ones got picked to colonise the moon.”

“Moon?”

“Spun round Earth –  like a big silver spoon in the night sky. Gone now.”

“Where’d it go?”

“We poisoned it.”

(c) Ann Isik 2013

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: The Bee

1. elmowrites says:

I love the imagery you’ve put into this story. It’s a cautionary tale but fun to read too – a great combination, seldom achieved. Sorry I’m late, still getting through last week’s stories…

2. pattisj says:

And now the moon’s gone too? We’re in bee-g trouble.

3. marymtf says:

Sent chills up my spine. I refuse to be so pessimistic about human beings. But it’s Tuesday, come Thursday I might agree with you. 🙂

4. Joe Owens says:

We do not learn easily. I think we likely would destroy the Moon in less time that it takes to destroy the Earth.

We’d have to create pods in which to survive first. After some millenia we may have come full circle again. Or maybe we WILL evolve into intelligent beings!

5. Very misanthropic view of the human species, and very correct. Love it. Ron

6. Wow, we are worse than I thought. :/

So there’s no real hope. is there? Good cautionary tale. Deaf ears, blind eyes.

Aloha,

Doug

8. Well, that was a cheery one! 🙂 The conversation sounded realistic, Ann.

9. Lynda says:

Wow!
    This is perfect, Ann.

A through provocative tale. But I have to ask, If humans have succeeded in poisoning the earth and the moon, where does this conversation take place?

11. Indeed. A person I know believes some people will be fetched by extra-terretrials once earth funks out. Yeah, I thought, and then they’d poison that too until it’s unusable.

12. summerstommy2 says:

Excellent message Ann. I do so love dialogue stories.