Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Waiting for the Hands of Time

Friday Fictioneers Photo Prompt for 5 July 2013  David Stewart of The Green-Walled TowerEvery Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired – regardless of genre – by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

This week’s photo has been provided by David Stewart.  (Visit David’s blog:  The Green-Walled Tower: a Fiction Blog of Funny and Dark Stories).

Here’s the story the photo inspired:

Waiting for the Hands of Time

Hear the legend:  once there was Time; when Time existed, Time had hands. Fingers marked the tick tock of its passing. Another legend says: Time waits for no man, so on the rim of this handless clock we wait for the return of Time. In the hope that with the return of Time, we can begin and so, end, for we  cannot until Time returns to free us from eternity.  Oh, how we long for the end of eternity!

Hope is our only destination, until the return of Time. So we keep vigil for long thin shadows.

Note:  I decided to leave this at 111 words as this ties in with a recent peculiar sleeping pattern.  I always look at the clock when I wake up during the night and recently, I’ve woken up at (it’s a 12, rather than 24 hour clock): 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, 5:55 – and 1:11. There are no other possible combinations, I thought, then, having gone to bed early one night, woke up at 12:22!

I can say with certainty that the previous owner of the clock is now in ‘the beyond’. Was this an attempt to contact me from that place?  Who knows?  But what I do know is that if I were to wake up and the clock was registering 6:66, I’d call in an exorcist without hesitation!

Ann

Related:

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, spirituality, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Waiting for the Hands of Time

I love the irony in “we long for the end of eternity.” All in all a good, thought provoking read.

shalom,

Thanks Rochelle. I’m learning a lot about myself from doing FF. Also, that I CAN write a whole story in a short period of time. Last week I wrote a whole draft of a full length short story in one working day. A first for me! Can’t get to FF every week, hope that’s okay. Not organised enough! Ann

2. vbholmes says:

“Oh, how we long for the end of eternity!” And yet, others yearn for eternal life. Can’t satisfy everyone.

Great story and great commentary too!

4. N Filbert says:

most excellent

5. Gabriella says:

‘We watch others’ futile embroidering of emptiness as they climb endlessly towards no destination.’
    My favourite line!

6. Before I forget, Ann, the link you put is to an edit page, which means no one can access your story from it. Maybe 666 intervened after all!! 🙂

As far as number combinations, I love things of this sort. I like 12:34 and also times (and odometer readings that are the same backwards and forwards (12:21, for instance.) Dates can be fun, too. My m-i-l always looked at me a little strangely when I mentioned odometer readings to her but I like looking for and at patterns.

I find the idea of waiting for the return of time interesting. My favorite line is this one: “We watch others’ futile embroidering of emptiness as they climb endlessly towards no destination.” Sad!

I hope your weekend is much more upbeat and enjoyable. 🙂

Thanks for reading and for pointing out the problem with my link. Fixed it. I hope. Yes, I think I pick up on patterns, too. It’s probably to do with singing – sight-reading sheet music. You start scanning and the notes at some point will form a melody in your head (sometimes!). I also remember numbers quite easily. This waking up pattern was quite odd though. It’s stopped now. There should be an explanation. Events have causes. My weekend is not sad thankfully and is proving productive. Hope yours is good. Not too hot.