A Code of Cups

English: Cup and Ring Markings Believed to hav...

English: Cup and Ring Markings Believed to have been made by neolithic man, markings such as these occur all over the area. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I find it fascinating, the inventive and often amusing devices my psyche or my angels/guides use to get a point across in a dream.  (I think there must be a team of angels assigned to look after me).

On the eve of posting Auspicious Dream: Part II, I had another. I’m not going to be boring and go through the thing, but I had to laugh.

I’ve been stalling, creatively, recently. Got stuck. Focus problems. My dream included someone I  knew  only briefly – a passing acquaintance – and over 20 years ago. Overnight, I puzzled about this, then found the answer in his name.  It’s Beckenstall.  My helpers were beckoning me to quit stalling!

There’s more to it. Stan (lovely man) made important discoveries of neolithic rock art, (petroglyphs), cup and ring markings. He used to take groups on walks. I wanted to join in but at the time he advised against my trekking across isolated moors in icy rain just after a hysterectomy. Ah, well.

English: Cup and ring markings Detail of [3631...

English: Cup and ring markings Detail of [363144]. Baluachraig, , Scotland. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Cup and ring markings. They fascinate me. They’re found mainly in Northern England, Scotland Ireland, Brittany, Portugal, Galicia (north west Spain), north west Italy, Greece, Switzerland. Similar forms are found around the world: in Mexico, Brazil and the oldest cup marks recorded to date are in a Paleolithic cave at Daraki-Chattan. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_and_ring_mark).

Often, there’s a depression surrounded by etched circles. Depressions can be connected in a pattern with gutter channels. Their raison d’etre is shrouded in mystery. Interpretations abound. It’s conjectured that they relate to fertility rites. To the sun. Findings from comparisons between various sites is interesting, but the code of the cups has yet to be cracked.

Linga Fossil Drawing 500x214 - CopyI identify with these in various and entirely non-scientific ways. Here’s my entirely unproveable theory: if they are connected with fertility rites, could it be that the cup would represent the womb, into which, as part of the rite, a phallus would be symbolically inserted? That nothing has been discovered could mean that the phallus may have been made of wood. These would have decayed. This idea came to me because I’d read up on the linga and yoni stones of Hindu tradition. The yoni is the receptable for the linga, the phallus. It’s about divine conjugation and the linga and yoni are at the heart of every temple dedicated to the god Shiva in India.

So, not only have I been beckoned and told to quit stalling, but I’ve been given some delicious images to play with.

Are you stalling? Beware! In my dream, I was shot, with a round pellet (like a cup marking). The shot went right through my body. These angels just aren’t going to put up with my procrastination.

Walking the sites of cup and ring markings would makes a great themed walking holiday.

The drawing above is one I did from the piece of fossilised coral I developed an obsession for, for a while. I’ve blogged about this before. Search the word linga if you’re interested.

Ann

This entry was posted in Art, Dreams, Inspiration, spirituality, Walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Code of Cups

1. I’m not sure if current archaeologists don’t have preconceived ideas about what they find? I have a book by Marija Gimbutas that deals -kind of- with this sort of thing. Concentric circles, think cliched pebble and pond – perhaps marking time? Some indentations don’t have the circles, others do, some more than others? Mapping an event? Telling time maybe? So many seasons before a crop was harvested? I don’t, not any longer anyway, buy the concept of fertility symbols only. The people that made those carvings were highly sophisticated thinkers. They didn’t think of biology only. They observed the skies too. There are images found in astronomy that were made by people, whether in trance or not, those tens of thousands of years ago.

Fascinating. Yes, there can be many reasons for cup and ring markings, etc. Any kind of scientific proof must come from other factors at all the different sites of these things. You are very learned. I expect it’s because you live with a cat. I do too. She knows so much more than I do and is often quite exasperated at my dimness. 🙂

• Thank you so, so much for the laughter! At first got alarmed about the ‘learnedness’ but the cat got the cake for sure! There’s a lovely little novel out there, read it years ago and unfortunately do not remember the author’s name, called Schrodingers cat. The cat being the philosopher. She’s (my cat) is just amazing. One day out walking, and while sitting down a bit to just look, a little bit apart, I noticed her staring, fascinated at something against the stone in front of her. She turned her head this way and that and I could see by her eyes that she’s truly enchanted. So I got up to have a look. It was the light through the trees playing shadow/light on the rock! The first time ever that she wasn’t aware of me when I got close to her. Even gave a little mew in surprise.

I have a page on my blog which is a slideshow set to music ‘The Healing Power of Animals’. It is of my husband and Keeks, our cat. At the time he was bald because of radio and chemo due to a brain tumour. We had just lost our two (first and darling, rescued) cats the previous Christmas and he wanted a cat again. We got Keeks from a rescue centre (in France). She would spend half an hour at a time just licking his head all over. I think she was sent to heal him. Cats are the most extraordinary. Our first two could see the ghost(s) in our house in France! They would follow them with their eyes round the room. Sometimes, run and hide!

• I realise they can see things we can’t. I;ve seen her eyes following something or someone when we’re definitely on our own in a room and there’s no moth or insect.

Amd maybe it wasn’t just the light and shade that transfixed her. 🙂

• What else could it have been?

Phantom or phantoms. My, sadly late, Persian rescue cat would follow something around a room with her eyes, in ‘ready to run away’ mode and sometimes would run away and hide. I’ve seen both of my cats of that era follow something in that way together, and scatter. I could see nothing.

• I know they can see ghosts or phantoms better than we do. In an apartment, some time ago, while still in the city, my cat of that time used to go into the built-in cupboard and just howl its head off. A woman who helped me with the house one day came and sat me down with the newspaper so we could find another flat to move to! It took me some time to take them seriously, I wasn’t unduly influenced – being depressed is kind of a way of life for me – but we did move in the end. But I think with Charlie it was the light play, that time. Just the other night, we were already in bed, and I saw her following something with her eyes. I really looked but couldn’t see , or feel, anything. Dogs are like that too.

We both have lots of stories. I’ve sent you an email. I’m sorry you feel depression ‘a kind of way of life’. I know what you mean, but it shouldn’t be like that. Then it might just be insane if one WEREN’T ‘depressed’ given the state of the world and its cruelties. 🙂

• Said a bit with my tongue in my cheek. And, indeed, having turned away from newspapers – just can’t stand it anymore.

You might be interested in a perceptive lady/site I’ve been following for a while. She is apt in finding ‘the divine’ in the mundane of our daily lives, I think:

• Thanks, will have a look.

• The first time that I really liked quilt work.

Me too. I’ve connected it too much with ‘shallow domesticity’ which I fervently resist. The history of quilting is fascinating. Jude is a ‘patcher’ really.

• So have I, but as you said there’s more to it than meets the eye, or a perception. There’s a tradition of storytelling quilts which I only glimpsed at. I just can’t stand sewing so have never gone there before.

I was the worst seamstress in school, but then I was made to make the most awful things that I would never use or wear. 🙂

2. Susan says:

Love to go to look at neolithic sites. Only get there about once every 10 years. Enjoy your posts .