Every Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired – regardless of genre – by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.
This week’s photo has been provided by Claire Fuller.
She took the key from the dummy book, opened the secret safe. Box in hand, she backed down the steps. She trembled as she set it on the table and the room and her body flickered in and out of visibility. The sound of footsteps grew louder.
From inside the box she lifted a smaller box. Again, the space-time judder.
A throw of the dice will never abolish chance. It was how many years since she’d seen the poet’s words inscribed on this box?
She had to throw, take her chance. The dice must not fall into human hands.
(c) Ann Isik 2013
- Friday Fiction: The Importance of Being Bob (elappleby.wordpress.com)
- A Flood of Flash Fiction (thousandmonkeys.wordpress.com)
- COMPETITION: Scrolls Flash Fiction Challenge (geeksyndicate.co.uk)
- Friday Fictioneers – Skills (anneorchardwriter.wordpress.com)
- Fun Fiction from Friday Fictioneers (thewhyaboutthis.com)