Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge:

Friday Fictioneers 27 April 2013 Bookshelves by Claire FullerEvery Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired – regardless of genre – by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

This week’s photo has been provided by Claire Fuller.

The Throw

She took the key from the dummy book, opened the secret safe.  Box in hand, she backed down the steps. She trembled as she set it on the table and the room and her body flickered in and out of visibility. The sound of footsteps grew louder.

From inside the box she lifted a smaller box. Again, the space-time judder.

A throw of the dice will never abolish chance.  It was how many years since she’d seen the poet’s words inscribed on this box?

She had to throw, take her chance. The dice must not fall into human hands.

(c) Ann Isik 2013

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge:

1. Anne Orchard says:

A terrific trip into fantasy. I loved it and could see it could develop into something much bigger.

Yes, those dice need investigating! Thanks for reading and commenting. I just bought your book. Ann

• Anne Orchard says:

The dice were especially intriguing. I appreciate your interest in my book, though sorry you have had to be in that situation.

Your book arrived today! I look forward to reading it. I was surprised, to say the least, when my husband was rushed into hospital with a brain tumour, for both of us to be subjected to hostility, harrassment and racism. This was in France. It’s over 5 years ago now and as the saying goes, ‘What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.” At least we’re back in England. Ann

• Anne Orchard says:

I am sorry your experiences in France were not how you would hope to be treated in such a life-threatening situation. Hope things are much better now.

Thank you. Yes, they are much better now. What happened in France was unbelieveable. Long story. My husband’s tumour tissue was re-tested here in the UK and his tumour downgraded in view of his longtime survival – over 5 years now. Thanks for your kind interest. I have been flicking through your book. Not had time to read in depth. I did see a mention of angels. I will certainly give that greater focus. There is no doubt that a supernatural intervention occurred in our case! Ann

2. Shreyank says:

I agree with others here.. Would want to know a lot more 🙂

3. Ah there is lot more gonna happen here.. I get a little Pandora’s box vibes here.

We have both gone for a secret place amongst the books! Yes, I think I will expand on this tale some time. Pandora’s Dice might be a good title. Ann

4. claireful says:

Really concise writing. I like how you get across so much action and information in the first two lines with. As well as to read your story, I came to look at the pictures of your library that you promised, but maybe they’re suffering from a time-space judder too…
    Claire

5. elappleby says:

HI Ann
    you’ve packed a lot into this story – I love the little touches like flickering in and out of visibility and the space time judder. Also, the tension provided by the footsteps. It seems a shame to stop there though – I’d love to know more about the dice!

I would like to know more about those dice too! The inscription on the box may hold the answer: it’s a quote from a poem by the poet Lautreamont, who was a huge influence on Surrealism.

Very powerful, I could just imagine that space/time judder. Nice one. (I’m not human right now, but a cup of coffee should put that right) 🙂

7. Lily Mugford says:

Intriguing… Great story, I want to know more….

8. tedstrutz says:

Well, this is just ducky! You lay down a big cliffhanger and that’s it. There should be a ‘word extension limit’ to some people’s stories, I’m thinking.

So I failed, eh! I can’t find your story for this week to comment on. Ducking out? (Pun intended). I like your Red Ball. Made me laugh. You have certainly figured out human, I mean animal, nature – no, I mean human nature, actually.

9. Very mysterious, Ann. I like the last line, too. It’s a real zinger. I want to know more.

Quite a twist in your last line. It left me wondering what she looks like since obviously she isn’t human. Intriguing.
    shalom,