Following the wake-up call that was my auspicious accident and related dream, I’ve been engaged in a major clean-up of my life (mind and spirit and environment). It’s painful. I sat on the stairs and cried like a baby one day recently. Remember the scene in Lord of The Rings (The Return of the King) when Frodo is stumbling towards Mordor through the sticky cobwebs in the den of the spider and is eventually paralysed and cocooned? That’s how I’ve been feeling. And I know if I don’t persevere and complete this process, I will not – ever – achieve my creative potential.
The image above is of a group of objects related to one of the art projects I’ve had in progress for a very long time. Sometimes, you can only go so far: the road peters out. You have to find new psychic and physical materials in order to proceed. Sometimes, well, accidents happen!
At the back in the image is a child’s board book. I’ve painted the board pages with gesso. Originally, the window at the top would have housed 4 finger puppets. I’ve inserted 4 sections of a papier mache object I made using a fossilised coral to shape the mould. I then painted and waxed the form, then sliced it (just like a loaf of bread). At the bottom is an unbutchered version of another papier mache form of the same fossil. The top layer of papier mache consists of fragments of woodblock prints. I tried, in cutting the woodblock, to represent the different patterns on the original fossil. Behind the form is, from the left: a Plaster of Paris mould of a rubber mould I made from one of a dozen or so clay imprints of a coral fossil bed (exposed only at low tide); the two small squares to the right of this are tiny canvasses, to which I’ve added muslin and gesso.
Odd to say so, but I’m glad I had a fall.
I’m sorry I have not had time to respond to recent kind comments about my work. I will do so shortly.
- Blossom in Papier Mache (onlymadthings.wordpress.com)
- House (tor.com)
- The Power of Papier-Mâché: Interview with Monique Robert (canvasgalleryblog.wordpress.com)
- Bliss is an illusion, life is a circle to sculptor Sang-Jun Roh (theartjunkie.wordpress.com)
- Papier – Mache (familyrecipebooks.wordpress.com)
- Art Meets Technology (caltech.typepad.com)
- Astral Projection 03 – Expectations (lovelightlearn.wordpress.com)
- The Key To Enlightened Dreaming is Robert E. Denton New Work Broadening Envelope on Higher Consciousness (prweb.com)
- An Auspicious Accident: Part One (annisik51.wordpress.com)