Incomplete Art Project

Cayman Linga Project IIFollowing the wake-up call that was my auspicious accident and related dream, I’ve been engaged in a major clean-up of my life (mind and spirit and environment). It’s painful. I sat on the stairs and cried like a baby one day recently. Remember the scene in Lord of The Rings (The Return of the King) when Frodo is stumbling towards Mordor through the sticky cobwebs in the den of the spider and is eventually paralysed and cocooned?  That’s how I’ve been feeling. And I know if I don’t persevere and complete this  process, I will not – ever – achieve my creative potential.

The image above is of a group of objects related to one of the art projects I’ve had in progress for a very long time. Sometimes, you can only go so far: the road peters out. You have to find new psychic and physical materials in order to proceed. Sometimes, well, accidents happen!

At the back in the image is a child’s board book. I’ve painted the board pages with gesso. Originally, the window at the top would have housed 4 finger puppets. I’ve inserted 4 sections of a papier mache object I made using a fossilised coral to shape the mould. I then painted and waxed the form, then sliced it (just like a loaf of bread).  At the bottom is an unbutchered version of another papier mache form of the same fossil. The top layer of papier mache consists of fragments of woodblock prints. I tried, in cutting the woodblock, to represent the different patterns on the original fossil. Behind the form is, from the left: a Plaster of Paris mould of a rubber mould I made from one of a dozen or so clay imprints of a coral fossil bed (exposed only at low tide); the two small squares to the right of this are tiny canvasses, to which I’ve added muslin and gesso.

Odd to say so, but I’m glad I had a fall.

I’m sorry I have not had time to respond to recent kind comments about my work. I will do so shortly.

Ann

This entry was posted in Altered Books, Art, Dreams, Mixed Media, spirituality, Walking and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Incomplete Art Project

1. Do you still have this artwork? I just adore it.

Yes, and it’s still incomplete. I think I can only work on something when it’s ‘speaking’ to me – or more likely, when I am able to hear it speaking to me. I think I have a lot of incomplete artworks screaming themselves hoarse! 🙂

• I said in a previous comment I’m at least still able to work but a painting on the easer is just standing there. Oye!

There are those artists who are so prolific they are like conveyor belts. But sometimes the work isn’t thoughtful. There’s huge confusion over ‘abstract’ art, too, I think. I mean, Pollock didn’t drip paint without reason. An inspiration was American Indian sand painting, for instance. ‘Abstract’ is an abused term.

2. petrujviljoen says:

After reading your ‘auspicious accident’ post, and this follow up of the experience: I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself with ”and if I don’t persevere and finish this process, I will not – ever – achieve my creative potential”. We are all so very good at punishing ourselves. I would think it is simply a honing in maybe, or from where I’m sitting, looking at the artwork here, the creative potential is being strengthened. Love your work.

How kind! Yes, we creatives are very self-exacting. My fall and the dream that followed, has precipitated a much-needed cleaning-out of items and situations eating up energy that I need for my creativity. It has had astonishing results so far. I’m busy writing Part Two of this blog, so I won’t go on here. I hope writing about the process will be of use to others. At the least, it should be quite entertaining! Ann

• petrujviljoen says:

Just very interesting that others have similar experiences and reactions to what most would think is a non-descript incident.

I’ve come to believe there’s meaning in everything, and examination will find meaning. I’ve kept a record of dreams for years. You can go back and find new meanings over time.

• petrujviljoen says: