Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: The Greatest Gift

Every Friday authors from around the world gather at the virtual fireside of fellow blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

mystic-watering-the-lawnThis week’s photo prompt has been provided by published author and professional disc golfer Douglas MacIlroy, who lives on Hawaii. Check out his blog Ironwood. Aloha, Doug.

Here’s the story that Doug’s photo inspired.

The Greatest Gift

“You think I canter to this fence for an apple? I, Eohippus, Bucephalus? Nonios, Abaster, Abatos, who carried Hades?

“I do! For your gift is love uncankered; and I give you in return the golden bridle and as Pegasus and Bellephoron, we share the skies again.

“You mourn me. I mourn each dawn when you forget our night’s adventures; memories become a dream you pursue. One day you will recall. In this image you will see not hose, but golden bridle. That day you will know me as one of The Four, come to rescue those who offered uncankered apples.”

(c) Ann Isik 2013

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: The Greatest Gift

1. vbholmes says:

What a magical transformation–Mystic, the backyard pet, to Pegasus, the winged traveler of the skies, bearer of a golden rein and abettor of dreams. Nice.

2. Tom Poet says:

Just getting around to some of the blogs this week and I had to stop in and find out just how much you would twist my mind up. You didn’t disappoint. Fine work as always. I open up Google before I even start to read your work…

Tom

I hope your mind has untwisted itself. You may perhaps be relieved to know that I can only do FF once a fortnight at the moment. 🙂

Thought I’d replied to this Tom Poet but I might have replied in the wrong place. Sorry if this is a duplicate. If so, discard. Here’s what I wrote:

3. Joe Owens says:

You gave us a creatively entertaining 100 word piece. I enjoyed reading it.

4. Holy cow! Um, I mean horse. 😉

5. billgncs says:

Hi Ann — I liked this, it had the feel of myth which I enjoy.

6. Oh yes there is a reward coming for all those apples…

I read well your message of love and hope between the lines of your story and i thank you for it. Also for the fine links. I’ll bet people wonder what the heck disc golf is. Thanks to you, a few more will know now.

Aloha,

Doug

P.S. I will see the golden bridle from now on.

Disc Golf was a new one on me, too. Discs, or as I known them, Frisbees, are used a lot here to exercise dogs. My cat likes to leap for a small plastic disc. It must take a long time to complete a course, unless dogs are banned from the course!

I wish I’d met Mystic. And I understand how he might have got the name!

Love and hope might be all we have!

Ann

8. elappleby says:

Hi Ann
    thanks for linking to my story this week – what a lovely compliment!
    I didn’t recognise many of the names, I think you are much better read than I am, but luckily Google stepped in and helped me! Beautifully written as always – and a lesson in Greek mythology at the same time 🙂

I’m not as well-read as you believe. Google is one of my best pals! Then there’s Wikipedia! I like to write about love in all its forms, including when it gets twisted out of shape by life events. It was the gift of the apple that ‘drove’ my research this week.

9. Dear Ann, ‘
    That’s one intellectual horse. Impressive knowledge and aspirations for a beast of burden, eh?

Nicely done. There were surprisingly few apocalyptic themes this week.

11. erinleary says:

Mine is also written from the horse’s perspective, although a bit more prosaically. I enjoyed yours,

12. Haven’t thought of some of those horses and the related myths for years. Thanks for the clever reminder.

Hope you’re having a restful night. Enjoy Saturday.

13. Penny L Howe says:

Fascinating premise Ann. I actually went back and read it a second time. This is great I really enjoyed your take on the prompt!

14. An interesting twist to the coming of the four horses of Revaluations. My piece is the same theme.