Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: I Dreamt I Dwelt In Marble Halls

Every Friday authors gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, prompted by a photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

I Dreamt I Dwelt In Marble Halls

“I dreamt I dwelt in marble halls …”

Silk dresses; denim dungarees.

“I had riches too great to count, could boast
Of a high ancestral name;”

Her smile had faded when she first saw the barn.

“But I also dreamt, which pleased me most,”

They hadn’t come to her soirees. Not at first. He made her a garden; fenced it off with picketing kept pristine.

As he crossed from the barn, the faded song of his Bohemian Girl rose above the greying heads of her faithful audience.

“That you lov’d me, you lov’d me still the same.

(c) Ann Isik 2013

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Multimedia, Music, Short Story Writing, Singing, Walking, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: I Dreamt I Dwelt In Marble Halls

1. Graying heads of her faithful audience says a lot.

2. Joe Owens says:

I have considered trying something like this, but wondered how it owuld turn out. I like the way you blended it in.

Thanks Joe. Most kind. I like the added texture of other people’s words/voices in my writing – it seems – my rather cobwebbed novel begins with a similar ‘device’. ‘Marble halls’ v ‘picket fences’ just dropped in my head. I sing this song myself 🙂

3. Wow, unique idea to mix it with lyrics 🙂

4. Nice job. Enjoyed it.

5. rgayer55 says:

Nice sentiment in that last line.

6. Unique and haunting take on the photo. Poetry and prose mixed effectively. Ron

7. Not familiar with the song, but it fits nicely in with the prompt and nobody gets strangled! You have to like that …

8. kz says:

i really like how unique your take is to the prompt. great writing.

9. nightlake says:

very different. and a nice poem here..an interesting style

Thank you kindly for reading. It wasn’t premeditated, but I liked the contrasting texture of another voice that the song lyrics provided. I think it was that pristine picket fence. It was odd. There had to be a story behind it!

10. I like how well you mixed the dialogue with the story.

11. Nice take on the prompt. Nice touch adding the music.

12. Nice mixing of the lyrics into your story, Ann.