Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Philosophy

Friday Fictioneers  Photo Prompt for 15 February 2013Every Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired – regardless of genre – by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

This week’s photo has been provided by David Stewart, who describes his blog – The Green-Walled Tower – as A Fiction Blog of Funny and Dark Stories.

Here’s the story that David’s photo inspired:

Philosophy

“Homework!  What’s missing from this photo. ”

“How’re we supposed to figure that?” said Jake, flicking his copy to the floor.

“Clue: it’s abstract.”

….

“Love,” said Romance.

“Anger,” said Rebel.

“Who’s right, then?” challenged Jake.

“Everybody. Each responded according to his philosophy.”

He sang. “I don’t have no fee-loh-so-fee.”

“Everybody’s got a philosophy. What do you want most?”

“Sex and money.”

“That’s your philosophy.”

“This class is a waste of time.”

“This class is about developing a conscious philosophy.”

“Hey, Jake, want some jiggy-jiggy?” said Red Lips.

“Yeh.”

“Got’ny money?”

“No.”

“Loser!”

“Seems you need to develop your philosophy, Jake.”

(c) Ann Isik 2013

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: Philosophy

1. I like this group of characters! Love how you named them, and hope you do more with them!

2. tedstrutz says:

I’m still trying to develop my philosophy, Ann! You asked how to do this… ♫ and this… ♪… on my mac, I have a character deal, with all sorts of great things… I can’t figure out how to find how I got it, I’ve tried. But, the easiest way to do this is to copy and paste. Here’s a good link for that…http://www.diggz.org/index.php/2009/05/15/how-to-make-music-notes-love-hearts-and-other-cutsy-symbols-in-facebook-status-updates-and-chat/

3. rich says:

well done, especially misspellings for dialect. in these lines, the comma needs to be inside the quotes.

“Love”, said Romance.
    “Anger”, said Rebel.

Thanks for reading, Rich. You’ve opened a can of worms with the commas! In British English, the comma ought to be outside the speech marks, because the speaker didn’t ‘speak’ the comma. I suppose there’s really an invisible full stop inside the speech marks. It has become more common, however, to place all commas inside speech marks, regardless. I checked this out again. My source (today) is The Penguin Guide to Plain English, R.L. Trask. It’s my age! It’s a minefield! But I appreciate the discussion. I think I’ll have to decide to adopt what the reader generally expects.

• rich says:

i was thinking it was a brit thing. as for the commas, you don’t really “speak” a comma. question marks and exclamation points are different though. as for americanized english, commas and periods are always inside. thanks for your patience.

Hi Rich. You don’t speak a comma? You don’t think we speak ‘hesitation’ or pauses in our speech? I’ll beg to differ on that. Thanks for your assistance, however, as ever. Ann

• rich says:

oh, wait, we “speak” a comma when it’s in the middle of a line of dialogue, but not at the end of the line. the purpose of the comma at the end is to show that the quote is over but the sentence is not over.

We agree in this entirely. I’m glad we didn’t get to the ‘pistols at dawn stage’ over this. It can happen! Ann

4. elappleby says:

I’d like to join that philosophy class – just so I could have friends called Romance, Rebel and Hot Lips! Really enjoyed this 🙂

5. Very funny. I hope someone came up a little wiser after that lesson.

6. Sarah Ann says:

Lovely. Great dialogue. Wish we’d had philosophy classes at school.

7. kz says:

haha this was so cleverly written. i definitely enjoyed the dialogue. a great read ^^

8. Thank you Anni very quirky piece you have written here. 🙂

9. t says:

Perfect dialogue, I had to read this one twice!

10. JackieP says:

nice take on the pic, believable dialog. Great!

11. Victoria says:

Hi Ann, found you by way of brainsnorts. I’m enjoying my walk around your blogs.
    It’s a pleasure.
    V.

12. Tom Poet says:

Annisik51,
    Now that was witty. Love the dialogue. Smooth and easy read with a message. I like it, I like it a lot!
    Tom

13. Dear Ann
    Sounds a little like a scene from Welcome Back Kotter or To Sir with Love. Glad I’m not teaching that unruly bunch. Your dialogue’s believable and moves smoothly. Well done.
    Shalom

Thanks for reading! I was late writing it this week. But I’m finding that once I’ve seen the photo prompt on the Wednesday, a story will start to form itself in my head like it’s coming out of a mist. And the longer I leave it, the sharper it gets. I’ve no idea where these tales are coming from except the mist in my mind!

14. Abraham says:

LOLL!! Very funny. Quite different too.