These are the beginnings of some small encaustics. While I’ve been busy over the past few days a) writing my 100 word story for this week’s Friday Fictioneers challenge
b) reading other Fictioneers’ stories c) singing Bach and d) being a housewife, I was determined to make some small progress on my encaustics. Especially, I was determined to get started on my Gelli plate, which I’ve had for about 6 months and not found the time to use. The photos show my first ever Gelli prints. I’ve glued them, as backgrounds/bases to some postcard sized rigid supports made with half inch thick MDF (mixed density fibreboard). They had postcards glued on the fronts. I picked them up (there’s about a dozen I think) in a secondhand furniture/household effects outlet for next to nothing a couple of years ago. They’re ideal for encaustic work as they won’t bend.
I made the prints on acid free tissue paper. I used various objects to make circles in the paint, which I spread around the plate using a broad paintbrush. The circles are in line with my Below the Line theme.
The Gelli plate is fantastic. I can see myself doing a lot of monotype work from now on.
A bonus is that the plate has a very fragrant odour as whatever it’s made of, it includes mineral oil.