Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: An Affair of the Heart

Friday Fictioneers Photo Prompt 1 February 2013Every Friday authors from around the world gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, all inspired – regardless of genre – by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome.

This week’s photo, Heads, has been provided by artist, writer and blogateer Claire Fuller. Here’s the story that Claire’s Heads inspired:

An Affair of the Heart

“With this hand I converted you. You cannot revert.”

“I was never that statue fashioned from this block.”

“I made you in beauty unsurpassable; then, invoking Venus, made you flesh!”

“Your effigy was but a reflection of your own self-fingerings. Beings cannot create beings. Artists play among Creation, exhibit wonder.”

“Your tongue is sleeker than Galatea’s. What are you?”

“A shard of a shattered heart. One of countless shards blown to the four corners; spill of love dispatched to pierce hearts.”

“What  am I?”

“Enslaved, endlessly re-creating yourself as Pygmalion.”

“How can I be freed?”

“Let me pierce your heart.”

(c) Ann Isik 2013

PS This week I made the 100 words limit!

This entry was posted in Short Story Writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: An Affair of the Heart

1. Lovely literary piece that is intriguing and beguiling both. I’d love to find out more about how it ends 🙂

2. Joe Owens says:

I feel like E.L. My literary resume leaves me missing the finer points of many of these fabulous posts. Even with that said i found it to be a good read. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

3. boomiebol says:

This is so unique and very well done. Bravo, and thanks so much for stopping by mine

4. muZer says:

Wow.. Great dialogue with most of the lines I love. The last line was brilliant and this one also:
    “Your effigy was but a reflection of your own self-fingerings. Beings cannot create beings. Artists play among Creation, exhibit wonder”.. Very well written.

5. rgayer55 says:

Great job condensing it to 100 words. I love the shards line.

6. elmowrites says:

So many things to think about reading this piece, Annisik, you have made me want to waste a morning on wikipedia investigating. Interesting story and well done for condensing it to 100 words!

7. t says:

“One of countless shards,” beautiful!

8. Enjoyed this very much.

9. Beth Carter says:

Nicely done. I’m impressed!

10. This reads like poetry, enjoyable.

11. Jan Brown says:

Lovely dialogue with rich literary references that take the reader into the smitten sculptor’s heart. Well done!

12. Well done, and linking it to Pygmalyon is so good. I kind of prefer your version to Eliza… Thank you 🙂

The sculpture in the photo is ‘classical’ in style and I thought Claire’s inspiration might have lain in mythology. I searched and found the story of Pygmalion and Galatea. Having read it, I thought that if Pygmalion had lived now, he might very well have become obsessed with one of those inflatable adult dolls, rather than a statue. If you get my gist! Sexual obsession is not love.:)

Congrats on making the 100 word limit. You’ll find it gets easier and some of us are obsessed with it. Interesting dialogue.

14. nightlake says:

this was very good

15. vbholmes says:

“Enslaved, endlessly re-creating yourself as Pygmalion”. Interesting take on Pygmalion–and provocative last sentence. Good story.

16. elappleby says:

Nice writing – although I think my paltry literary education is letting me down – I don’t get half the references. My fault not yours. Made me want to know more though. I’m off to Google Galatea 🙂

Very convincing dialogue – well done.

Oh, the irony! My novel has been stalled because I couldn’t write the dialogue. I must be getting a teeny bit better at it.

After reading your story, I need a hot drink. Or a stiff drink. Ann

18. billgncs says:

very nicely done. I enjoyed reading it, and read it again for pleasure.

19. kz says:

Mystery is everything. — yes i definitely agree. and the last line’s brilliant 🙂

20. Tom Poet says:

I loved this part…”What are you?”

“A shard of a shattered heart…..”

Tom

21. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Annisik51,

Your piece did justice to the prompt. Well done. On another note…a good friend once told me that hyperlinks within my stories were distracting and, being new to them and stretching my hyperlink wings, I had to step back and think about it from the reader’s perspective. Food for thought. There are many ways to share what you want the reader to learn. I ended up on the ‘no hyperlinks in the body of the text’ side of the question, but I make no judgements. Every voice is unique, every message singular in its POV.

Welcome aboard,

Aloha,

Doug

22. N Filbert says:

excellent work! you’ve got it!

That was quick. It’s still Thursday here! Thank you for the feedback. Though I’m not sure what the ‘it’ is that I’ve ‘got’! Mystery is everything. Ann