Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: White Noise

Friday Fictioneers Image 18 January 2013The phone rang. The phone rang just as she turned to leave, had placed her free hand on the tarnished door knob. She turned back to stare at the ringing phone. The old phone she’d found in the box along with the faded photo and the menorah, was ringing.

It insisted. She put down the three crayons on top of the faded photo next to the menorah and the insisting phone. She brought the receiver to her ear.

“Hello?”

White noise. The knuckles on the hand that gripped the receiver were white. The other hand. The white hand that overlaid her own. Its whiteness was a mist. Her own, slightly pinker hand, flickered in and out of visibility beneath it. For a while. Then only the misted hand remained.

“Hello?” she asked, from out of the white noise.

Ann Isik

Friday Fictioneer

This entry was posted in Dialogue, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Friday Fictioneers 100-Word Story Challenge: White Noise

1. nightlake says:

scary..so well done

2. Eerie pretty much sums it up. Love it.

3. rich says:

well done – but remember – you don’t have to use everything in the picture. you could skip the crayons and give us even more about the white hand, which is really what this is all about. well done!!

Thanks for reading Rich. I believe you’re right about the focus of the story, which teeters between episode and story. Some others feel the latter. I don’t know the nature of the region of ‘white noise’. I only know it exists. Problem? I guess I feel that if props appear ‘on stage’ they have a job or ought not to be there. Debatable?
      Ann

• rich says:

easily debatable. for me, as long as there is just one “connection” to the picture, that’s enough. sometimes i see writers who spend too much time nailing down all of the items in the picture that there really is no story – just items in the picture – and that’s not wrong. if that’s what they want to do, they have every right. it’s just not what i prefer. so, as you see, it’s all about me! 😉

A fellow narcissist, she says, shouldering him away from the mirror. But no, I’m with you in this. I’m glad you’ve bothered to point this out. Have you taken part in this one? I can’t find a link on your site. Just to your poetry.

Two narcissists share one mirror? Two mirrors perhaps. Facing each other. One on one wall, one on the other. Each narcissist has his own mirror, from which to admire both front and back views at the same time.

I’m getting silly because I’m hungry for my supper. Have a nice evening or day!

• rich says:

yeah, but i like where that was going…

4. Ann, oh you gravitated toward the spooky, too. Like mine, I worked with the phone and the white noise. Very cool interpretation. Nicely done! – Amy

Again, welcome to Friday Fictioneers and thank your sharing your chilling little tale. As the owner of the phone in the picture I’m getting a little nervous. If it rings I’m outta here!

6. Okay, so let me understand this; she was sucked into the phone like Caroline was into the television in the movie Poltergeist?

Hello there. Thanks for taking the time to read my story. You’re the second who’s used the word ‘sucked’, curiously, though there is no mention of sucking in the story. The trigger for the story was the phone. And that it was a trigger was subconscious until after writing the story. I had a similar experience of ‘white noise’ and a phone. I’m still ‘here’ though, wherever that is! Ann

7. Wow – this is unnerving and mysterious! I want to know more, and that’s a good thing. Well written.

8. Sunshine says:

oh, gosh, you left us hanging here…white noise…wonder what will come next?!?
    …and you fixed your link, by the way.
    i tried the first one and got nowhere but second one works! yay!
    thanks for sharing ❤

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I made a new link but couldn’t delete the first. It’s been deleted for me now. However, I’ve tried to connect to YOU via your link about and got a warning page saying the link could not be verified as trustworthy! Can’t get through. Are you in the ‘white noise’ zone by any chance! 🙂

9. Oh, man, sucked into the phone to where? Welcome, Ann. A good start.

I had trouble getting here from the link you left on the inlinkz page. I got a message saying I didn’t have authorization to get to the dashboard for this site and more. The title of your blog in the message had a highlighted link and after clicking on that several times, I was patched through. I don’t know if others will have the same problem or not.

10. elappleby says:

A very different take on the prompt. I enjoyed this. I might be a little frightened of answering the phone in the future though, just in case!

11. elmowrites says:

Wow, you’ve certainly thought outside the box for this story. I think this prompt is going to do that for a lot of people – it’s certainly unusual.

12. tedstrutz says:

Holy Bell! That’s one way to get into Heaven… Good one… Welcome to FriFic, Ann!