Encore! Liberate Your Art!

My walk with the ‘Liberate Your Art’ postcard swap has come to journey’s end. Liberate was enabled by Kat Sloma www.kateyestudio.com and I received this beautiful postcard image of a blue door a few days ago by way of ‘thank you’ for participating in the swap. The image is very apt as it could be said that Kat was ‘opening doors’.

It was the first time I’d taken part in a postcard swap. In exchange for 5 postcards of my own work, I could expect to receive postcards from 5 of the other participating artists.  I would describe my feelings, on finding one of the postcards in my postbox as joyful.  Liberate Your Art has not just been a liberation of art, but of spirit.

Cara’s postcard of the rose, carries the quote:  “Where flowers bloom so does hope”.  (Lady Bird Johnson)  I think it can be said that where artists can meet and exchange across the world, so there is also hope and, as the rose suggests, there is love.

Lynn Wigren’s collage is also a patchwork.  Patchwork/quilting has a long and deep history, is about community, especially between women and about belonging.

Stephanella Walsh’s three red flowers also symbolise community – family in particular.  The three flowers seem playful, are playful, but as triplets they are non-identical, hinting (for me)that no being is identical to another, no matter the similarities in outward appearance and trilogies have figured as symbols in almost every one of humankind’s belief systems.  It is no surprise that her website (seems) all about people.

Rosa’s postcard came with the following enigmatic quote:  “The definition of INSANITY is doing the same things and expecting different results”.  Albert Einstein

On her site she states: “… there’s more to life than being a slave to money …”

Sassy’s postcard is of the Tibetan Buddhist deity Green Tara. If I’d looked less quickly I’d have realised it could not have been, as I’d first believed, Nataraja (Lord of the Dance).  Tara is also known as the Mother of Liberation and is therefore a very apt image for the Liberate Your Art theme of the postcard swap. She also stands for success in work and achievements and is known as the Buddha of enlightened activity.

Thanks for letting me walk a while with you!  Hope to meet up for another ramble, in the next card swap in 2012.

And wishing you luck with your enlightened activity that is Art.

Ann
www.annisik.com
www.annisikarts.com

This entry was posted in Art, Mail Art, spirituality, Walking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Encore! Liberate Your Art!

1. laura says:

having fun blog hopping a little late because of a vacation but fun checking out some new blogs

2. Kate Daniel says:

thought I’d come check out the postcards that you received…wasn’t it fun!? Your banner is just dreamy and magical, by the way! Love the colors… Can’t wait to check out your blog some more.

Hello Kate
      The swap was more than fun – I made lots of contacts and opened up some expo possibilities, got lots of inspiration and ideas. It was uplifting to be involved in something that put the spotlight on the immense amount of creativity that’s going on in the world. Nearly everybody mentioned being uplifted on receiving the postcards in their post boxes. Empowered is a good word to use too. An excellent use of the World Wide Web!

My banner is from a photo of our garden in the house we owned up until a couple of years ago. In France. It was taken through the net curtains that hung on the window of my studio! It was spring and the yellow glow is a hedge of forsythia I planted. Thanks for ‘hopping by’! Ann

3. Patty says:

I just love seeing all this variety – what a diverse group of artists we are!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment about my photography. Your words really made my day!!

4. Rosie Grey says:

What a wonderful collection! Thanks so much for sharing these! And yes, joyful describes it absolutely right! 🙂

5. I’ve really enjoyed seeing what everyone else has received! Such beautiful cards. And I love the quotes that were included!

6. Julie says:

What a lovely swap, so much beauty all around!

7. I am having so much fun checking out the beautiful variety in this swap! I love how you have shared your thoughts on each of the postcards you received… Such an interesting post 🙂

xo
    Kristin

8. Ashley Sisk says:

What a beautiful collection of cards – hope you’re having a great weekend.

9. joan says:

All are impressive! You also have a way with words. Loved reading your post.

10. Anna says:

You certainly received a great group of cards!!!! This was a wonderful exchange, so fun and inspiring. I’m looking forward to reading more of your adventures in art 🙂

11. crinkleroot says:

Thank you for sharing! It is fun to see all the cards that circulated during the swap.

Hello Susie

Thanks for sharing too. I’ve never done an art swap before. As you write on your blog, it makes you get down to something! In my case I have just moved house and I think the only space I had to work in was on the ironing board!
      And I like being out in nature too, walking in particular.

Good luck.

Ann

12. Marji says:

Hi Ann! I got one of your lovely cards. I hope you hop over to my blog site and give a little tell-all about how you made your lovely piece of art.

Hello Marji. Thanks for getting in touch. I’m glad you got one of my postcards. I’d be very happy to describe how it came about for your blog. I’ll get in touch again after the blog hop is finished. And if you’d like to do likewise with one of your own works, that would be excellent. I get sick of talking about myself!

Ann

13. NatashaMay says:

This truly was a joyful experiance. 🙂 Great cards you got in return and you did such a beautiful job presenting them to the rest of us. 🙂

14. Deborah says:

Loved reading your words and sharing in your descriptions of the art you received. I have never been into blog hopping, but this one is proving to be fun and full of new resources, new ideas. Thanks for sharing your postcards with us!

Hello Deborah
      Thanks for getting in touch. I’d never heard of blog hopping till now! But it’s a good thing to do. It’s like visiting people’s houses at Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve in case you haven’t heard the expression).
      Good luck.

Ann

Hello Deborah
      Good luck.

Ann

15. Hi Ann! I received one of your postcards and absolutely loved it and the story behind it. It is on my blog! Your work is so inspiring.

16. April Cole says:

So nice to meet you! :]
    Thank you for sharing your postcards, what an incredible experience!!
    Such a treasure… love them all ❤

Hello April
      Nice to meet you. I like your altered book project. I’m into ‘book art’ too. Got some going. I’ve saved it on WordPress as a draft to ‘share’. I don’t know what that means yet, but when I get a chance I’ll check out what I’ve done. I always seem to be behind with technology! Hope to meet up again in the 2012 swap.

Ann

17. Cara says:

So glad you liked my photograph. I loved this project and look forward to participating again!

18. Ann, this is wonderful. We have all received so much beauty and it’s good to see what others received as well!
    xo
    lynn

19. Kat Sloma says:

I love how you took us on a journey of meaning with the postcards you received. I love the idea of “opening doors” and totally agree with you that this was a liberation of spirit, as well of art. I’m so glad you found all of this bounty in your mailbox through the swap!

Hello Kat … thanks for the comment and also for organising the swap. It must have taken a huge chunk of your time and while you were moving! I did the postcards in the middle of a move, the second move in less than a year. I’ve done some mega moves myself. I’m not doing anymore unless my home is repossessed! The swap has certainly opened doors, stirred up the angels of the creative realm! Looking forward to next year’s swap. Ann

20. Lynnn Wigren says:

Ann – love your post! So exciting to see my work somewhere other than my blog! Thanks so much! Lynn

21. This blog hop is more fun than I expected. I did not receive any of these postcards, so it is wonderful to see them. The variety is so amazing!

Hello Mr Charlebois!
      I just saw your Blurb book ‘J’aime Paris’. I’m curious! I have a Blurb book: L’Isle-Adam. It’s a little history about the forest of L’Isle-Adam, near Paris. (I lived in France for over 10 years until last October).
      Small world!