Sleepy Village

Friday Fictioneers  Photo Prompt  Hay Bales by Sandra Crook 28 February 2014Every Friday authors worldwide gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Sandra Crook.

Sleepy Village

“You will take home golden memories of sleepy French villages …”

She clicked off her recorder to look around through the car window as he slowed to negotiate a tractor.

“…where a golden sun glints in turreted windows, glances off swathes of golden Achillea and dances on jollily jolting bales of golden hay.”

Jollily?”

“… first draft!”

“… so you’ll be adding that in the upcoming sleepy village of Neuvy-le-Barrois, was born sculptor and writer Jean Baffier (1851-1920) and mentioning he founded a ‘folklorique’ society and that like most fondateurs of the ‘folklorique’ movement, Baffier was an anti-semite.”

(c) Ann Isik 2014

About Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Freelance Writing, Philosophy/Religion/Spirituality, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sleepy Village

1. Jim Kane says:

Merveilleux Ann! I like narrative going back and forth in time!

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim. Having lived in France I know all about the dark side of sleepy French villages and wasn’t surprised to unearth this sculptor character. Of course, ALL ‘sleepy’ villages harbour darkness. We writers wouldn’t have anything to write about otherwise!

An interesting story with a bit of enlightenment crafted in as well. Well done Ann.

3. R. E. Hunter says:

I like the “first draft” come-back 8^). Well done.

4. draliman says:

Nice dialogue, and a reminder that darkness can lurk in unexpected places!

5. There’s probably a market for a travel book that explores all the not-so-nice aspects of places instead of the traditional ones. :-) Hope your weekend’s off to a great start, Ann.

Weekend’s almost over, but after a week in hell, I have had a weekend in heaven – well, a local priory – closest I can get. Thanks for reading. I think you’re right about the travel book, but I don’t want to be guillotined, so I won’t be the one to write it!

6. Susan says:

So fun! Enjoy your blog. Thrilled you like my cards…..I have fun with my paintings. If only I could live off them.

The Baffier reference is certainly a contrast to the idyllic description of the visit. Well done.

Thanks Rochelle. I learned something about how to make contrasting characters this week too as I saw after I’d written the story that they are different ‘types’. Thanks for reading and the encouraging words. :)

8. Good story and well written. Very affective use of descriptive words to give the reader a memorable word picture and a good contrast.

9. vbholmes says:

I’m all for keeping “jollily”. It’s an eye-catcher and a bit of a tongue-twister.