Friday Fictioneers Flash Fiction Challenge 14 February 2014: Strawberry Blood

'Sangria' (c) Janet Webb

‘Sangria’
(c) Janet Webb

Every Friday authors worldwide gather around the virtual fireside of fellow WordPress blogger Rochelle Wisoff to share flash fiction stories of 100 words, prompted by a common photograph, and exchange constructive criticism. Readers’ comments are also welcome. This week’s photo has been provided by Janet Webb.  Thanks, Janet, for this symbol-rich image!

Oh, and Happy Valentine’s Day fellow FFers.

Here’s the story Janet’s photo has inspired. Unfortunately, this week I couldn’t get it down to 100 words and really, it would have been better even longer than it is.

Strawberry Blood

Dice was snickering at whatever he was skim-reading.

“Mornin’, Sgt.  Hey – that photo somebody’s posting-in every day? Listen to this from the profiler,” he sneered.

“Sir.”

“‘The strawberry represents love, also blood. Also symbolising The Virgin, it’s the holy blood of Christ. Strawberry flowers – white – … purity; …leaves – trifoliate – …Trinity. …glass of wine therefore represents The Eucharist, in which wine is tran…sub…st…

“Transubstantiated, sir.”

“Yeh, that,… ‘into blood. This reasoning … reinforced by the name of the drink – Sangria – …deriving from blood. ‘The strawberry in the glass is dissected. …woman’s hair is a type of red known as strawberry blonde. She’s wearing strawberry lipstick/dress. She’s a ‘painted’, ‘scarlet’ woman. Repeats of the photo arriving suggest …sender is forewarning his murder of a redheaded prostitute, whom, after drinking her blood, he will dissect. I suggest initiating interviews with the city’s priests, …’ Profilers? Loonies! ”

The phone rang. I picked up.

“Sir, …a disembodied head – red.”

Ann Isik
163 Words

About Ann Isik

This entry was posted in Detective Fiction, Dialogue, Flash Fiction, Short Story Writing, Theme, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Friday Fictioneers Flash Fiction Challenge 14 February 2014: Strawberry Blood

1. Susan says:

Whoa…. a love mystery!

2. Susan says:

Whoa … a love mystery! A Valentine’s post.

3. Clever format for this bloody tale. Great title, actually.

Thanks Patrick. I didn’t make the word count and had to chop bits out so it lost a bit in translation. I loved this week’s photo prompt. Gave me something to get my knife into! :)

4. draliman says:

I guess they should be paying more attention to the profiler!

5. K.Z. says:

this is really great. what a great mystery story. i don’t mind the extra words. happy valentines day too :)

6. Good story. Great beginning for a crime drama. Either that or the vampires have crossed over from another story and are at work in this one.

7. Sarah Ann says:

Enjoyed the focus on red and its allusions. Would love to read a longer version of this.

I’ll post the longer version. It amounts alrgely to the words I’ve replaced by ellipses in my attempt to achieve the 100 words and failed anyway! Thanks for reading and for your interest. Ann

Very clever story. All the clues are there. Stellar.

9. Nan Falkner says:

Great story – I can see this as an opening to a murder mystery movie. Really, really, creepy good. Thanks for your imagination! Strawberry Blood – awesome! Nan